diy solar

diy solar

General discussion about my dream solar project

tomlu_2000

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am trying to figure out exactly what components I need to accomplish my goals that will allow me to start off small and grow my solar system. I’m trying to spend good money on equipment that will get me where I want to be even if it's overkill in the beginning.

This is my conceptual 10,000 foot view:

Solar Project 10K ft View.JPG
Features:

1) Grid-tie – Sell excess energy back to the grid, if there is any! I’m trying to eventually size this to provide most of my energy needs.
2) Provides energy first from the Solar Array, then the batteries, then the grid and then the backup generator.
3) Battery backup in case of grid failure.
4) Use batteries when there is little or no PV generation, to a point where the battery charge reaches a certain level, then switch back to the grid.
5) Generator backup in case, 1 – there is a grid power failure and 2 – the batteries cannot support the load demand or they are depleted.
6) Expandable solar array.
7) Expandable battery bank.
8) Built in BMS.
9) Built in Wi-Fi for remote monitoring and remote programming/configuration.
10) Ability to charge the battery bank, either automatically or by manual selection, from the grid or the generator.

This list may not be all inclusive. This is actually the first time I’ve attempted to visualize and document how I would like the system to work.

Is this too tall an order? What are the things it can’t do? What are my limitations? What specific components will get me where I need to be?

Thank you.

-Tom

Outside of the built in BMS, those features are standard for hybrid inverters, such as the sol-ark 15k, EG4 18kpv, Schneider XW, and more.

Looks like a pretty normal wish list for many inverters as long as you don't pick the cheapest one out there.

FYI, the BMS would be built into the battery not the inverter.

Next step is an energy audit, decide on days of autonomy and analyze your surge (motor starting loads)

For a system like Schneider, it's all discreet components, so you buy what you need and are stuck paying for unused features like with an all-in-one. Also it allows replacement of single failed components vs replacing the entire thing if one part fails. But it requires more set up work. Even with the benefits, it's not for everyone.

Conceptually, block level diagram is fine ... it gets you thinking about everything, and starting to know what you don't know. Now, produce the "requirements" (along with your constraints/trade-off's, etc.) document.

In the diagram, I see:

- a Generac 24kw, which I'd assume you mean to be a standby generator? Investigate/ensure you are in an area where it is sold/installed/serviced by an authorized Generac dealer (the only way to survive these units). Otherwise, investigate a powerful but portable-type generator (a pair of them), for a fraction of the cost. Make sure the generator plays well with the inverter, in addition to any requirements/options to pass through power.

I'd suggest that you get a *local* solar designer, flesh out all the requirements, planning, etc. and get to a good written plan/diagram/etc. Such a plan would survive any potential installer saying "that's stupid, and you need to do it the way I install/sell these things". Installer & designer (hopefully an EE-like person or company) would have respect for and working relationships with each other, much like an Architect and a General Contractor.

Who will support this system after it all gets installed and is hopefully working without a hitch? I'd submit that you can't count on any solar sales organization to sell you a kit (which they will gladly do to get the sale) and then support it for you after the sale (which is *the* issue, because typically they can't ... they all expect the "installer" to support it). Finding a *local* installer, and one who will support the system after the installation (this is a tough requirement) is critical. This part is like finding a good General Contractor.

Hope this helps ...

Thank you 50ShadesOfDirt.

The way things are now, I already have the 24k Generac Installed with an 200A automatic transfer switch. It works great BTW. I realize that all the electrical work done to install the generator will basically have to be undone, since the generator will have to be connected directly to and controlled by the inverter that I select. I'll have my electrician help me out with that part.

I am a technical person with 30 years in the IT industry and have a decent understanding of most of the solar components. With that said, I was planning on doing most of the install myself with help from a local electrician. I tend to lean towards doing things myself since I can figure out most of the technical details once I roll my sleeves up and dig in. I just need eyes to provide advice and make sure any work I do is safe, correct and will pass inspection. Also, I'm in no hurry which is another luxury that most people don't have when they embark on a project like this.

I like your idea of hiring a local solar designer to get a good written plan that covers all the bases on how I would want the system to work. I live in the middle of nowhere. So, finding someone local might be a real challenge It's impossible to find a roofer or a GC. Can you recommend anyone who would be interested in doing this remotely? The way I usually approach these types of situations is to take a step-by-step approach and get one part working properly, then work on the next part, the next part and so on. I try to ensure that anything I do, will work once the entire project is done. I hate going back and revisiting work I've already done.

I wonder if there is a course I can take to get a good level of understanding of the inverter. I am leaning towards the Schneider since it seems to be one of the best and like 400bird says it's totally modular and probably the most flexible.

Back