diy solar

diy solar

General info on electric vehicles

Venezuela Solar

Hi, I'm looking for a good forum or website or book to get info on retrofitting Gas vehicles to electric vehicles, I have a general idea, DC or AC electric motor, controller, batteries, transmission, inverter if necessary, charging port and I guess a lot more details that I'm missing, I have search through this forum but either I have missed the thread or it doesn't exist, could you point out where can I start?

Thanks.

I know evwest.com has a lot of info on it.
Maybe try Google Google EC conversion forum

I dont think this site has much info on it.

Hi, I'm looking for a good forum or website or book to get info on retrofitting Gas vehicles to electric vehicles, I have a general idea, DC or AC electric motor, controller, batteries, transmission, inverter if necessary, charging port and I guess a lot more details that I'm missing, I have search through this forum but either I have missed the thread or it doesn't exist, could you point out where can I start?

Thanks.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ is
a forum dedicated to electric transportation, including ev conversions.

It seems electric vehicles are very dangerous.
ALL forms of energy storage are extremely dangerous...
Hydrogen is the worst, as it tends to react with anything spontaneously even... gasoline is next id guess... maybe hydrozene... nasty stuff there. Diesel... Oklahoma city bombing ring a bell? Lithium cells are difficult to extinguish, but not EXPLOSIVE... just combustion, and long burning...
Precautions are going to be needed and accidents will happen.

It seems electric vehicles are very dangerous.
I think the fire departments need specially formed bottomless cargo container type boxes to drop over a flaming EV or megapack. Pump in nitrogen or argon to reduce flames, and just leave a fairly small hole in the top to release pressure. They'll burn themselves out in seclusion, keeping their farm sister systems safe.

ALL forms of energy storage are extremely dangerous...
Hydrogen is the worst, as it tends to react with anything spontaneously even... gasoline is next id guess... maybe hydrozene... nasty stuff there. Diesel... Oklahoma city bombing ring a bell? Lithium cells are difficult to extinguish, but not EXPLOSIVE... just combustion, and long burning...
Precautions are going to be needed and accidents will happen.
Had to point out that diesel really doesn’t fit in your listing. Diesel is flammable but not explosive at room temp/pressure. Your Oklahoma City reference is misleading since diesel was a coating on the fertilizer material. Totally rocks vs apples comparison.

As for EVs going up in flames, there a couple videos on YouTube of two different instances of French buses going up in flames. Bit scary how fast they burn.

Back on topic, I’d like to see more on DIY EVs and DIY charging solutions. There used to be quite a few people who used to covert gasser to battery powered. No as much since you can buy a completed EV if you can afford them. But some still do the conversion. Here’s a site on DIY EV….

Yup a 197? Super Beattle convertible. It was a very easy conversion because there is an adaptor plate that you can purchase along with a coupler that allows a typical AC or DC motor to bolt up and no motor mounts are needed. I just left the transmission in second gear because the RPM range of the AC motor allowed me to go 65 MPH in second gear. It was also fast off the line. My 0 to 60 feet times were amazing. It was the first time I got the EV grin and the rest is history.
:)

Last edited:
Yup a 197? Super Beattle convertible. It was a very easy conversion because there is an adaptor plate that you can purchase along with a coupler that allows a typical AC or DC motor to bolt up and no motor mounts are needed. I just left the transmission in second gear because the RPM range of the AC motor allowed me to go 65 MPH in second gear. It was also fast off the line. My 0 to 60 feet times were amazing. It was the first time I got the EV grin and the rest is history.
:)
Interesting...I used to know a guy at my work that did the same thing but it wasn't a convertible.

Had to point out that diesel really doesn’t fit in your listing. Diesel is flammable but not explosive at room temp/pressure. Your Oklahoma City reference is misleading since diesel was a coating on the fertilizer material. Totally rocks vs apples comparison.

As for EVs going up in flames, there a couple videos on YouTube of two different instances of French buses going up in flames. Bit scary how fast they burn.

Back on topic, I’d like to see more on DIY EVs and DIY charging solutions. There used to be quite a few people who used to covert gasser to battery powered. No as much since you can buy a completed EV if you can afford them. But some still do the conversion. Here’s a site on DIY EV….

Certainly. But neither are nmc batteries flammable without heat…
My statement was about dangerous energy storage. Sure… a bucket of diesel fuel won’t spontaneously ignite… heck, it won’t burn with a match tossed in the bucket… might not even light if you dumped a burning log in… but diesel has a LOT of energy in that bucket.
I know of PLENTY of ways to have diesel combust at room temp… I mean… the fuel pushed men to the moon…carrys millions of tons of cargo across the nation every day… lots of energy there.

Anyway, I have bought a smith electric truck, and a pair of batteries for it. I don’t think I will be able to get that truck back on the road, but the hvac system, the power train, and the charging system should give my 03 sprinter a needed upgrade…

Back