diy solar

diy solar

General Sol Ark Question

cgeldert

Greetings,

Plan on doing a semi DIY solar install. Plan is submit permits very soon, like by next week, so I can be in NEM 2.0. Then I will take my time over the next year to install solar. This is due to needing to replace roof (I am doing that) and other general construction on house. Pushing the time line further out, I will be making house run on full electric since a larger remodel is coming our way , and thus adding battery storage. I also like the option of being grid independent whether this is feasible/cost effective down the road, time will tell. Who knows what taxes they will dream up of in California. Questions are:

Is going with a Sol Ark Hybrid inverter worth it? I am gravitating towards it and don't mind the extra cost. I feel it will simplify installation, and give me more options down the road. Or just running with a system that utilizes microinverters, and separate components the way to go? I know these are broad questions but I just want to get some feedback on if the Sol Ark is over doing it.

Not sure it matters but I reside in San Diego, CA. Thanks in advance

Well, how big of a system are you thinking of?

Well, how big of a system are you thinking of? KWs?
I believe the Sol Ark 12k would be good, right now solar companies are quoting me to use the 6Kw system but that is without converting my hot water heater and dryer which will happen within 18 months. 20 Panels at 400 watts.

Any shading issues? Micro inverters are good for that. But I’d like to stick with DC, especially if you’re gonna have batteries.

Any shading issues? Micro inverters are good for that. But I’d like to stick with DC, especially if you’re gonna have batteries.
Not significant, and most of them I can mitigate myself.

The Sol-Ark is definitely going to cost you more, so you have to decide if the simplicity and features are worth it to you or not.

I just fired up my Sol-Ark 15K this weekend, after nearly a year of design/install, and it's awesome.

I've not been able to test the grid tie component yet (still waiting on permission from my utility) but the PV + Battery + Generator combo works like a champ. Knowing I can basically seamlessly switch between power sources, and then only have to run my generator when absolutely necessary in a power outage is awesome. For me, it was absolutely the right answer.

Or just running with a system that utilizes microinverters, and separate components the way to go?

Possibly. It depends on your use cases. If you don't require batteries then microinverters may make sense.

The Sol-Ark is definitely worth the money if it fits your needs.

Honestly, you haven't provided enough information to give an informed opinion. I suggest you read through the forum threads to get a good understanding of how to design you system, when and why batteries are beneficial, when and why net metering is beneficial, when and why a generator is beneficial, when and why a critical loads panel is beneficial.

I would also start with answering the question: "Why I want to go solar?" Everyone has different reasons. The answer will form the basis of your use cases which will determine your design.

Back