diy solar

diy solar

Generator cutoff

jvbutter01

We have a Sol Ark 12k controller. It will turn on the Generator when battery supply drops. It will never shut it off. Is this typical? I end up checking the battery level on the controller LCD. If charged, I will shut it off manually. Is this normal?
As it gets colder out. I doubt he will want to go out and shut it off regularly.

There is environment variables under advanced where you set how long the gen will run.
Also for setting how long a pause shall take.
It is not a good idea to run a gen continuously without breaks.
Have you set the right charging levels under batteries and in the gen charge setup?

Hello @LydMekk , thanks for that. I am learning his new controller and setups. I think we could safely set a max run time. That would be better then continuous run for hours and hours. As it is, he does burn up his backup generators after 2yr of use. they run alot. He has 2 backups he flops between the two. Im not sure about the correct charging levels. I need to see what they are for his current AGM and verify those settings. I ASSUME the installer did this while back, Trust but verify.

The normal settings will charge the batteries to 100%, which can take a while.
With the Time of Use settings, if you check the "charge" box, it will charge up to that percentage (like 80%), and then should shut-off the generator. See if that works.

Thank you. When i get up there next month I will try to get his settings. It has some WIFI connection, but I could not connect last trip. Will try again.

Back