diy solar

diy solar

Getting more than 1500w out of an EG4 3000w and a single Lifepower4 48v

I'm told the Micro Air, and similar products, will also lessen the wear and tear on the compressor. Still not clear - is my weak link the inverter or the EG4?

So, I updated the firmware on my 24v EG4 Lifepower4 and tried to power my 12,000 btu portable air conditioner in my camper. When the compressor started, the EG4 battery voltage apparently dropped, resetting my 3,000 watt Giandel inverter via it's LVD. The battery came back up then instead of requiring a manual reset as before the new firmware. But the key is that the EG4 could not start the compressor of the portable air conditioner in my camper.

I then plugged in my camper's automatic transfer switch to 120v shore power (via a 75 foot cord) and that shore power line took over the camper loads from my Giandel 3000 watt camper inverter and EG4 Lifepower4.

Lo and behold, the portable air conditioner started and the compressor too.

So, shore power will start the compressor when the EG4 will not.

But, the really interesting thing is that my shore power was actually my 2,000 Cotek inverter in the shed of my off grid cabin, running off 315 Ah of flooded lead acid battery. I even turned on my cabin window air and refrigerator and it all ran off that battery.

So, the EG4 Lifepower4 just can't handle the surge.

One more observation. I let the portable air conditioner run for a few minutes on that smaller Cotek inverter and lead acid battery. When I unplugged my camper from that "shore power" the camper loads automatically returned to my camper's Giandel 3000w inverter and EG4 Lifepower4, and this time, after a few seconds delay it started the compressor of my portable air conditioner, and my camper mini fridge, and ran it. But after it cooled and the thermostat turned off the compressor, it would not start again.

Last edited:
Back