diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 battery and 3000w inverter app problems

Cardude

Made a portable hand truck thing with the eg4 lifepower4 5.12kw 48v battery and the eg4 3000 inverter. Just like in Will’s video.

It all seems to work, except for the damn ESS app. I cannot for the life of me get this damn thing to connect to the inverter. Any suggestions? I am on an iPhone.

Also, when I plugged the inverter into the AC in my garage to charge up the battery it immediately popped my breaker. I lowered the charger config to 15 amps and it’s working fine now. Is a lower 15amp charge ok or will that hurt
the battery somehow?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 72074168655__61C37577-DCE9-4BAF-8F36-8801C90D3D8A.jpeg
    72074168655__61C37577-DCE9-4BAF-8F36-8801C90D3D8A.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can't help with the app.

You have to tailor your DC charge current to not exceed your AC input current.

If you're on a 15A AC circuit, 15A * 120V = 1800W

1800W * .85 / 56V = 27A charge current. IIRC, the default is 30A or more, so that would pop your breaker.

15A charge current is fine.

Lastly, when charging, if you pull any loads, those also get passed through from grid, so if you have something connected to the EG4 AND you're charging, you may pop the AC in breaker.

I’m going to get the solar assistant program I think. This equipment will eventually be going into a stepvan conversion and I want to be able to monitor things pretty easily.

Another thing I noticed about this system is that the cord I connect to the AC input to plug into the wall for battery charging seems to have voltage on the exposed male end of the cord. Is this normal ? I measured 50-55 volts across the ground to both the line and neutral wire.

When you plug in you need to add up your AC loads plus your DC charge. If you set your charge rate to 15a at 48v nominal that’s 720w. That means if you are using a 15a plug on the wall for AC you have about 1080 watts max for loads (1800w AC in - 720w DC charge = 1080w remaining). Mileage will vary on DC charge based on battery voltage meaning could be higher watts.

Testing out the hand truck portable system on a 12000 btu 120v Pioneer mini split I installed in my FIL house a few months ago.

It ran one hour and used 90% of the battery, so about 10 hours of run time set at 78 degrees F in his old house, if that battery use meter on the inverter is accurate. This is on a 5kw 48v battery, and it has a communication cable between the inverter and battery.

Made a portable hand truck thing with the eg4 lifepower4 5.12kw 48v battery and the eg4 3000 inverter. Just like in Will’s video.

It all seems to work, except for the damn ESS app. I cannot for the life of me get this damn thing to connect to the inverter. Any suggestions? I am on an iPhone.

Also, when I plugged the inverter into the AC in my garage to charge up the battery it immediately popped my breaker. I lowered the charger config to 15 amps and it’s working fine now. Is a lower 15amp charge ok or will that hurt
the battery somehow?

Thanks for any help!
for help with dongle, email <zhengshengjie@eybond.com> include the Q #, quick response from Alex.

Back