diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero MPPT DOA?

steilkurve

Hey folks. Just got and installed the GZ MPPT module on my new Yeti 1400. The install is exactly per the instructions. Checked it several times. Yet, when I plug in my solar panel in it (GZ Boulder 50) or the OEM AC adaptor, the light will blink blue and I can see the input wattage but the Yeti emits an alarm sound. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the module several times to no avail. Still makes the alarm sound. The Yeti works fine otherwise. Panel plugged into the PMV controller charges without problem. Ditto with plugging in my devices in the unit. Could the MPPT unit be DOA? Others have had the same issue and found a solution? Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
At first check all connectors of the MPPT unit and the Yeti again (important is the small data cable). If this not solved the problem, replace the MPPT. Then install the replaced MPPT and hope the Yeti does not beep. If the Yeti is beeping again the problem is the Yeti and not the MPPT. This may be bad ...

At first check all connectors of the MPPT unit and the Yeti again (important is the small data cable). If this not solved the problem, replace the MPPT. Then install the replaced MPPT and hope the Yeti does not beep. If the Yeti is beeping again the problem is the Yeti and not the MPPT. This may be bad ...

Thanks for the reply. Reseated the cables a few times. Can’t see anything wrong there and still no luck. So I ordered a replacement MPPT from Amazon. Will try that. In the meantime, is there a way to reset the Yeti? Maybe that would help? Found some stuff online that suggests pressing the units, lights and info buttons but that doesn’t seem to do anything...

To reset the Yeti press all three buttons above the display at the same time, and this is the point, about 30 sec. until the display flashs and shows all symbols. Release the buttons.

To reset the Yeti press all three buttons above the display at the same time, and this is the point, about 30 sec. until the display flashs and shows all symbols. Release the buttons.

Thanks Ely. I’ll give that a try.

Thanks Ely. I’ll give that a try.

Ok, not looking good. Called GZ support. They had never heard of such an issue. Suggested getting a replacement MPPT module from the store, in this case Amazon, given Yeti charges normally from AC or solar without the MPPT. Got another MPPT same day delivery. Same issue though the one I got was clearly an open box and has a serial number not too far from the original unit I got. Wonder if there isn't a problem with that batch. I will call back GZ. Disappointing!

Last edited:
This sounds not good. Send it back and buy at another store, so you get a really new one without open box.

Or send it back again, order a replacement and hope. If you got a another open box MPPT send it back once more, order a replacement until a MPPT in a sealed box arrives.

Sometimes Amazon need a nudge ;)

This sounds not good. Send it back and buy at another store, so you get a really new one without open box.

Or send it back again, order a replacement and hope. If you got a another open box MPPT send it back once more, order a replacement until a MPPT in a sealed box arrives.

Sometimes Amazon need a nudge ;)

So I just spoke with GZ support for a second time. There is apparently two versions of the MPPT module, V1 and V2. Thy suspect I have V1 which would be incompatible with V2 (the one with WiFi) of the Yeti 1400. Plan is to return those I got from Amazon and then buy straight from GZ. May need to call them back though as when I check their site, there's only one version of the MPPT and it's got the same SKU a mine. Sigh.

Reactions: Ely
Interesting details and good to know about the both versions of the MPPT. I don‘t know about this.

My MPPT is also fritz-y. I think it will have to be warrantied. I’ll occasionally check on the system and it will be zero on both input/output. And after unplugging the MPPT everything will snap back into place...

Example attached. I spoke with GZ and they said to try the PMW and isolate it to the MPPT. Which I believe we’ve done.

Attachments

• F664E33A-C729-467D-8DC6-4A58415DA788.jpeg
    F664E33A-C729-467D-8DC6-4A58415DA788.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • D84BBC5F-EDB3-4C90-8A45-553025A3FA92.jpeg
    D84BBC5F-EDB3-4C90-8A45-553025A3FA92.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3

diy solar

diy solar
Back