diy solar

diy solar

Gobel Power BMS questions

Sal23

I am considering Gobel Power 16S 200A BMS for a 48V 304Ah (Eve MB30) LiFePo4 battery. I was initially considering JK BMS but think Gobel BMS might be better because it comes with heat sink which might make it more durable, plus seems to have several useful features like setting balance voltage threshold etc., not making the battery disappear (through BMS disconnect) when the current limiter kicks in (as long as over voltage threshold is not reached).

I have some questions - the setup will be used for off-grid solar w/ Victron Quattro + Cerbo + another parallel battery bank which already have smart shunt as battery monitor (with DVCC, STS etc. turned on):
- Is there a reliability advantage to Gobel Power BMS (because of heat sink) vs JK BMS in usage experience? Assuming we don't use more than say 50% of the rated capacity on the average.
- Can Heltec active balancer be added on top of Gobel BMS (in case it doesn't come with active balancer), and be configured to kick in only after a voltage threshold is reached?
- Is it the case that JK BMS still has issues with disconnection in more scenarios than Gobel Power BMS? This seems to be a concern since battery might suddenly disappear when solar charge controller is sending power. That is why I am hesitant to consider JK BMS.

Something like 15+ years lifetime will be great, plus handling different scenarios like active current limiting without disconnection. It seems to me from off-grid garage YouTube channel that Gobel Power BMS might be a better fit due to these reasons though more expensive than JK BMS. Both have CAN interface which is must have to communicate with Cerbo GX.

Will appreciate feedback. I plan to order about 5 BMSes (for additional battery banks later, for others). BTW, don't need tips on mix and match of parallel battery banks with different capacities. I know how to do this.

diy solar

diy solar
Back