diy solar

diy solar

Going to be a bad solar day? What’s your plan?

MattMan119

Solar Geek
I have learned to hate rainy days.. did not take but 16 days with 13 bring top annual solar performers … now two days in a row … today is set to be ~1/4 production… ouch … going to get to test all my generator backup plans … I have a small 1500watt champion for small boost, and a predator 8750 with chargeverter for really big boost.. (or grid if my RV is someplace that I have that..)

I figure max on big today for 2-3 hours may be in order .. small solution will not cut it with 20kwh loss of solar …

What is your plan ? I know peeps in Texas got to test their plans this past week, hope everyone is health well and back to normal …

Mattman

I have been trying to implement some "over paneling" so that the batteries charge in 6-8 hours, no matter how cloudy.
There is capacity for another 10kw of PV on the charge controllers, but the PV capacity in place now is doing OK w/clouds.
For extended grid down & clouds, I charge the batteries w/ the generator.

My system is configured to avoid using the batteries unless the grid is down and there is not enough PV to support the loads.
ie: Batteries are in "standby" 99.9% of the time.

I have learned to hate rainy days.. did not take but 16 days with 13 bring top annual solar performers … now two days in a row … today is set to be ~1/4 production… ouch … going to get to test all my generator backup plans … I have a small 1500watt champion for small boost, and a predator 8750 with chargeverter for really big boost.. (or grid if my RV is someplace that I have that..)

I figure max on big today for 2-3 hours may be in order .. small solution will not cut it with 20kwh loss of solar …

What is your plan ? I know peeps in Texas got to test their plans this past week, hope everyone is health well and back to normal …

Mattman
(Edit: Sorry, missed that this was about an RV, I've seen fold-out and deployable systems, but don't have any links)

This is why I over-panel. In the winter the Vancouver area can have >2 weeks of rain and cloud where the panel output might be 10% of potential capacity. At the winter solstice the sun doesn't even peak out from behind a mountain until noon.
I have enough battery for around 3 days of normal use with 4 people under these conditions with my old system with 2.7kW of panels.

Clipping in the summer? Who cares, my panels start charging at 6:30am and have replenished the overnight load by 9am before they even have a chance to clip.

So when I upgraded my system, rather than buy two smaller (Victron) charge controllers for and additional $900+ and all the ancillary hardware for separate set - I spent the money on panels and a single 250/100.

Last edited:
This is why I over-panel. In the winter the Vancouver area can have >2 weeks of rain and cloud where the panel output might be 10% of potential capacity. At the winter solstice the sun doesn't even peak out from behind a mountain until noon.
I have enough battery for around 3 days of normal use with 4 people under these conditions with my old system with 2.7kW of panels.

Clipping in the summer? Who cares, my panels start charging at 6:30am and have replenished the overnight load by 9am before they even have a chance to clip.

So when I upgraded my system, rather than buy two smaller (Victron) charge controllers for and additional $900+ and all the ancillary hardware for separate set - I spent the money on panels and a single 250/100.
Yeah I am RV so 3700watts of panels is all I got … would love to find a way to get potable array that I can deploy… mine with 10s 370w panels is generating power from dawn to dusk, but the amount can be the problem… so right now 2:30pm where I would normally get 3500-3600 watts .. I’m getting 407 and using 282 with battery charge of only 29w lol… but anyone know of cool portable option that would work with my second charging port on the 6000xp, I would love to hear about it..

diy solar

diy solar
Back