diy solar

diy solar

Good Cheap Battery Charger for LiFePo

Johnny Lightning

I've taken the plunge and I just ordered a 280 AH Redodo LiFePo battery for my RV. I believe I will need to charge it one time before I install it so it's fully charged when I do so. Is this correct? Once installed it will be pretty much constantly charged by shore power or the engine when driving with occasional boondocking where I can recharge by generator. Right now I'm looking at a Victron IP65 5 amp charger because I know it's good and the time to charge it is not important (I'll have days to get it charged) and the battery should come in a reasonable state of charge. Are there any viable alternatives where I could save a little money? Thanks in advance for putting up with the noob.

If you're not in a hurry, sometimes the 15 amp ones are really affordable.
1721080601322.png

Overall the Victron battery chargers are awesome, probably the best you can buy. I have both the 7 and the 15 amp one and I love them both, they're rock solid they have nice features to keep your battery topped off and conditioned while in long-term storage that I've not seen done very well with other chargers.

Last edited:
I've taken the plunge and I just ordered a 280 AH Redodo LiFePo battery for my RV. I believe I will need to charge it one time before I install it so it's fully charged when I do so. Is this correct? Once installed it will be pretty much constantly charged by shore power or the engine when driving with occasional boondocking where I can recharge by generator. Right now I'm looking at a Victron IP65 5 amp charger because I know it's good and the time to charge it is not important (I'll have days to get it charged) and the battery should come in a reasonable state of charge. Are there any viable alternatives where I could save a little money? Thanks in advance for putting up with the noob.
You could just let the alternator/engine do the initial charge if your budget is limited.

diy solar

diy solar
Back