diy solar

diy solar

Grade A finally broke the $100.00 delivered mark, Rept 280 cells

Sam Cho TX

Solar Enthusiast

$97.8/cell delivered with test reports, Looks like grade A finally broke the $100.00 delivered mark for 280 AH. Pity the MOQ is high.

I'm wondering how low these will go, for a while all you heard was its no longer worth it to do DIY. Well I don't think so :cool:

$97.8/cell delivered with test reports, Looks like grade A finally broke the $100.00 delivered mark for 280 AH. Pity the MOQ is high.

I'm wondering how low these will go, for a while all you heard was its no longer worth it to do DIY. Well I don't think so :cool:
that is even the international supply ?

to bad I don't need 48 cells....

I was checking to see how much shipping is. And its telling me the minimum order amount is 2 pallets...

Hey if you have a lot of cash to burn and want a lot of storage, this is a way to do it.

@Clarson
if you use ALL UL Listed components and can give them the backup documentation it will probably pass. It still depends on the AHJ. Some may only recognize the entire assembly.

UL is like those Russian dolls where you open one up and another one is inside, open that one up and another one inside. Well for UL they all need to be UL listed... So yeah I doubt you will be able to get DIY batts signed off. But I agree this onion layer of UL is unjust.

REPT cells are good, my 296AH cells on the test report tested to 296AH on the zke so (y) from me.

It's not UL that's the real problem it's the AHJ not having an understanding of the codes. UL only test for safety and stamps it.
If you get an engineer to sign a drawing that should pass also.

@Clarson
if you use ALL UL Listed components and can give them the backup documentation it will probably pass. It still depends on the AHJ. Some may only recognize the entire assembly.
Definitely will not pass anywhere that has adopted UL9540 since that’s aggressively a system level certification

And I don’t think IRC (which is the main code book that imports UL9540 to law) has a “engineering supervision” out, but I did not specifically look for it

This is the inherent issue with code.
Every jurisdiction can choose when or if to adopt. This means like in my area some have adopted the 2020 some are 2023 anso are still in the 90's.

Bottom line. Even if you are completely compliant and have a claim, you’ll probably have to hire an attorney to get money from half the insurance companies out there. Courts systems are backlogged years and they know it. The best policy is to do your best not to have to use it.

Please explain to me this, they have the battery cells listed as UL1973 same as the EG4 pro:

But when I asked my local electrician he said diy batteries would fail, how can this be both they pass but local electricians all say it will fail. They said the Eg4 server rack will pass.

both are UL1973?
So get one EG4 to pass inspection and supplement with the two pallets of cells listed above after the inspection :cool:

Bottom line. Even if you are completely compliant and have a claim, you’ll probably have to hire an attorney to get money from half the insurance companies out there. Courts systems are backlogged years and they know it. The best policy is to do your best not to have to use it.
That’s why you shouldn’t even bother with insurance

So have the inspector install with a battery with the UL ratings and then add diy later. Is this allowed or would be considered illegal/fraud? If you have tenants could they use this situation as a way to not pay rent?

So have the inspector install with a battery with the UL ratings and then add diy later. Is this allowed or would be considered illegal/fraud? If you have tenants could they use this situation as a way to not pay rent?
If you have tenants in most states you are highly restricted in what you can DIY unless you happen to be the right kind of contractor. So you're breaking two rules.

I think there are fewer forum members willing to DIY / skirt code if there are tenants involved.

As to not paying rent, well I guess they could threaten to snitch on you.

Back