diy solar

diy solar

Greentech Renewables no longer DIY friendly

rhino

Solar Wizard
Received this in email:
Thank you for reaching out. Greentech Renewables is no longer servicing DIY leads. I have sent your information to our partner, Tandem Solar. They can help you out with all of your solar needs!

Is that a company wide policy or just that branch?
I contacted the main company and couldn't get them to direct me to my "local" one. I'm currently trying to go directly through my local one to let me buy some panels but he also mentioned they were reluctant to sell to individuals.

He said they've had a lot of issues with end-users purchasing stuff from them and then not knowing how to install/use/setup and then calling them for help. That is reason why they are doing this.

That is reason why they are doing this.
Understandable. Their prices don't have the margin for that kind of service. I've purchased over $10,000 from them in the past two years and don't waste their time over the counter or when occasionally getting quotes. I have not received that email..

One page on their website indicates:

"Greentech Renewables is one of the largest electrical product *wholesale distributors* in the country. We ship our own inventory every morning from 70+ locations nationally. With a fleet of trucks, we’re there when you need us, providing local support at national scale."

Basically, if they weren't always a wholesaler, they are now. About the same as HVAC, plumbing, electrician, and other outfits that want only to sell to "the trade", and you have to do some legwork to either get around that, or find a seller who will sell to individuals (not in "the trade").

I've always just wanted the product, as fast as possible, with the best warranty as possible (against a doa or warranty issue) ... usually after lots of research. If they have some online help that is readily accessible (forums, tech support emails, etc.), then that is gravy. I believe this is the way of the world these days.

I was able to place the order for panels with the "local" Greentech. I was shut out when I went through their main national website and tried contacting someone through there (they wouldn't even forward the request to the local one so I had to contact local one directly).

I was able to place the order for panels with the "local" Greentech. I was shut out when I went through their main national website and tried contacting someone through there (they wouldn't even forward the request to the local one so I had to contact local one directly).
That is a better response. I can understand the National response. I was fortunate that I had been given a referral to a salesperson for my initial order which was several thousand dollars of micros and rails. Since then I got a very good quote on a SolArk 12k which also had no freight.

Many years ago I went into the Albuquerque place to ask questions about panels. After getting answers I saw some electrical tape of a nice color. I wanted to buy just one roll. Employee started to write up a ticket then said I could have it! It was a magenta color.

I contacted the Albuquerque store, registered and requested a quote on 4 IronRidge items to hold the 32 panels I wish to mount on my array.
Does it typically take a long time for them to respond or can I expect them to not respond?
Just curious.

I contacted the Albuquerque store, registered and requested a quote on 4 IronRidge items to hold the 32 panels I wish to mount on my array.
Does it typically take a long time for them to respond or can I expect them to not respond?
Just curious.

I don't recall using their contact page. I always called and got a quote right then.

I have nothing but raves for our local Greentech in san luis obispo at the counter.fantastic service, prices match on line places.
However online thru their corporate connection it was slow, sluggish and not very helpful

Thank you.
I'll try that.
I'd just go there and talk to them but the ABQ store is 170 miles away.

Last edited:
I'd just go there and talk to them but the ABQ store is 170 miles away.
For that investment in time have you considered an online source? My Greentech is 20 miles away but I still ordered some Ironridge clamps online just because of convenience. I did pick up a SolArk and often pick up rails because shipping is expensive. The Greentech price on the SolArk was very competitive.

Google search for Albuquerque Greentech, upper right box on search page gives an overview. My (kitrobaskin) review snippet is the second one.

Reason for that review:
I had sent them a picture of a 15 year old solar panel clamp that I needed more to install additional panels. They responded that they do not have that item in stock but gave me 2 online sources that could possibly help. Those sites had $300-$400 minimum orders. Greentech suggested calling manufacturer of solar rack system. The minimum order was a large quantity. I explained that I had gotten their contact info from Greentech (the rack makers, UNIRAC, only sell wholesale). But they sent me 8 panel clamps, classifying them as samples and did not charge me anything.

Back