diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount ballast type

kscessnadriver

I'm basically decided I want to go one of the variety of plastic tubs for ballasted ground mounts and have begun to ponder what to use for actual ballast. Obviously whatever you can get that's the cheapest per ton makes the most sense, which is usually going to be some sort of rock. Locally I can get a product called Duraberm, it's a slag product from the production of steel, for around $7/ton + delivery. It's much cheaper than gravel, I just wonder about any potential effects on the panels from potentially using ferrous materials right behind a solar panel. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea, or any other considerations?

I'm basically decided I want to go one of the variety of plastic tubs for ballasted ground mounts and have begun to ponder what to use for actual ballast. Obviously whatever you can get that's the cheapest per ton makes the most sense, which is usually going to be some sort of rock. Locally I can get a product called Duraberm, it's a slag product from the production of steel, for around $7/ton + delivery. It's much cheaper than gravel, I just wonder about any potential effects on the panels from potentially using ferrous materials right behind a solar panel. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea, or any other considerations?
If you have some land, maybe just fill those heavy tool boxes HD sells with your own local clay, and put the lids on them. Then attache your GM to the boxes via bolting through the sides to angle iron or PT wood etc.
Ditto would likely work for the slag idea as well, since the lids would keep any dust/debris from getting blown up onto the panels. I am pretty sure those Home Depot boxes are only $10 each and they are very sturdy.

Are ballasted ground mounts really feasible? I've been busting my butt putting 32 pilings in the ground and trying to determine the sturdiest way to connect the ground mount to the pilings. Using ballast never occurred to me. We get pretty high winds periodically so I have a healthy respect for the forces of nature. How much ballast do you expect to use for each panel? I'm too far into my current project but if it works out, I might consider it for a future project.

Are ballasted ground mounts really feasible? I've been busting my butt putting 32 pilings in the ground and trying to determine the sturdiest way to connect the ground mount to the pilings. Using ballast never occurred to me. We get pretty high winds periodically so I have a healthy respect for the forces of nature. How much ballast do you expect to use for each panel? I'm too far into my current project but if it works out, I might consider it for a future project.
Yes, I’ve been using them in a high wind area. No problem. They’re only at a 15° tilt though. If you go for a higher tilt angle, they might need quite a bit more weight. I got a good deal on defective/reject cement blocks that were going for a buck a piece. I put two in each bucket so about 100 pounds total.

Pics? I'd love to see them
I’ve never taken pictures of them. Just left the place today. I’m using them for a temporary solar system as I build the property.

The pallet when I picked it up:

Attachments

• IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
What kind are you using? I'm eyeing these...

I was looking at Powerfield Energy's PowerRack (https://www.powerfieldenergy.com/). Same concept, but they have a slightly higher angle of 25 degrees versus the Current Connected at 18 or so.

If you have some land, maybe just fill those heavy tool boxes HD sells with your own local clay, and put the lids on them. Then attache your GM to the boxes via bolting through the sides to angle iron or PT wood etc.
Ditto would likely work for the slag idea as well, since the lids would keep any dust/debris from getting blown up onto the panels. I am pretty sure those Home Depot boxes are only $10 each and they are very sturdy.

Powerfield has a simplistic design tool on their website that shows how much weight you need. To meet local code, I'm going to need 500ish pounds in the buckets on the outside of the array. Thankfully my neighbor drives large dumptrucks and I could easily get 20+ tons of material delivered to the location. I just don't like the idea of digging or screwing into my ground. I've built a deck here in the past, and not more than 3 ft into the ground, you end up running into ground water.

I would use sand. When you want to get rid of it, dump it on the ground. Water works too.

I would use sand. When you want to get rid of it, dump it on the ground. Water works too.

The ballast buckets are self draining, so water doesn't stay in them. Sand is certainly an option, it just comes down to cost of sand versus gravel. It's not a bad idea, its just much more expensive.

The ballast buckets are self draining, so water doesn't stay in them. Sand is certainly an option, it just comes down to cost of sand versus gravel. It's not a bad idea, it’s just much more expensive.
Mine aren’t, unless I drill holes in them. Not sure about evaporation.

Mine aren’t, unless I drill holes in them. Not sure about evaporation.
Might be able to top them off without removing the panel though. I like that. It might even pull some heat out of the panels on hot sunny days too! Lol

Just got to remember to check them constantly lol

Might be able to top them off without removing the panel though. I like that. It might even pull some heat out of the panels on hot sunny days too! Lol

Just got to remember to check them constantly lol
Could just use one of those lawn irrigation hoses I guess, with the timer?

Back