diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount Location

Fearless

I'm installing 2 single-axis east-west sun-tracking ground mounts. I'm not sure if I should line up precisely with the property line or precisely east-west. It would look more uniform lining up with the property line but I don't know how much I lose by doing that. What would you do?

11.png

I’d check in PV Wtts or the calculator in my signature block to figure loss.

I would ignore the property line since no one but you and skynet will ever see it.

Use the coordinates for your property and get the correct tilt and angle settings for your system.

Factors to consider:
  • Any setback required from the property line required by local zoning code
  • Potential shading from development at/near the property line, fence, etc
  • Mostly it's going to be an aesthetic choice

Mostly it's going to be an aesthetic choice
I do think the real losses from a 10 degree offset won’t matter.
I'm installing 2 single-axis east-west sun-tracking ground mounts
Also, the offset is off true north not magnetic north.

Looks like your property is pretty big, so I’m wondering why you decided on trackers versus more panels.

If you have room, set as far back from you're property line as is good. I'm in the city and put mine >4ft (required by city) plus enough for the neighboring fence (6ft tall) to avoid shadows at low winter sun angles. However, my neighbor didn't comply with 4ft and put a pool shade right up against the fence. This creates shadow for about 6 weeks / year at winter sun's lowest angle.

I could report him about the offset but during this 6 weeks it's mostly rainy so in truth I'm not loosing much and I don't want to start a feud with my neighbor. I have maybe a 50kwh loss over those 6 weeks on an overall 14.5kw PV array system. Another neighbor planted palm trees - and bit by bit, after 15yrs they are blocking our view quite nicely and would render the PV severely compromised in power output if they were not due west. Fortunately it's only another minor loss.

My point is - leave back further than you might originally think (if you have room) or consider what a neighbor might grow or build down the road and don't necessarily count on ordinances to shadow protect you're array. An array could work 30, 50yrs and if you don't ever have to fool with it in the future that's a good thing :)

Last edited:
Especially if your city has a limit on solar production, going for maximum results seems right. Consider you are providing a reference for true bearings that all who can see it may benefit.

Especially if your city has a limit on solar production, going for maximum results seems right. Consider you are providing a reference for true bearings that all who can see it may benefit.
More details on the panel placement is in the plans shared in this post #98

Back