diy solar

diy solar

Single-Axis East-West Sun Tracking Ground Mount Design

If you are using those panels with the 18kpv inverter, then you don't need a combiner. 4 strings of 8 panels in series, can be wired directly to the 18kpv MPPT inputs. you want a disconnect where the PV circuits enter a building, like the IMO DC Solar Isolator SI32-PEL64R-8 4 String 32A
So I would run 8 wires from the arrays to the 18kpv? I've already ordered 1,000' of red and 1,000' of black which should be just enough to do that.

Depends on your string layout and charge controller. Two strings and two MPPTs, no need for a combiner.

What's your string layout and charge controller?
I'm leaning heavily towards the EG4 Kpv with the Sol-Ark 15K for a close second.

I think it is preferable to avoid rows shading each other.
How about starting with all panels horizontal as sun appears on the horizon.
As sun rises, only tilt toward it to the extent you can without causing shade.
Similar after tilting toward afternoon sun - reduce tilt as needed to prevent shading.
I planned on using a controller that senses the sun and tracks automatically but if I can figure out how to automate using Home Assistant I'll try your suggestions. The slew drives I have coming in have hall effect sensors.

So I would run 8 wires from the arrays to the 18kpv? I've already ordered 1,000' of red and 1,000' of black which should be just enough to do that.
9 wires total 8 for solar panels, and one ground. All these should be no smaller then 10 AWG. Also with 10AWG you have enough capacity to run all 9 in the same conduit if needed.

9 wires total 8 for solar panels, and one ground. All these should be no smaller then 10 AWG. Also with 10AWG you have enough capacity to run all 9 in the same conduit if needed.
I ordered 6 AWG. Now I just need the ground. Should the ground be coated and is 10 AWG ok for the ground?

Unfortunately, the land is sloping towards the north.

That should be fine if you want more power in the summer. Unless so steep the panels never face directly towards sun.

A single axis tracker could have panels sloped, but then need space to avoid shading. Parallel to axis is easiest and simplest.

For fixed arrays and net metering, we usually give PV array tilt angle matching our latitude. That's why I thought South slope would be ideal. Net metering is dead. Long Live Net Metering!

Yeah that cable Is ok.

Since you have 6 AWG wire already, you could combine 2 of your strings with a junction box at the array, and have single run for the 2 strings for MPPT 1 on the 18kpv. This would only require 6 wires + ground running from the arrays to the inverter. Only disadvantage is you will need a higher amperage rated disconnect for this one string. With 2 strings in parallel you need a discconect rated for at least 44amps, like the 60amp one: https://www.solar-electric.com/sqd600vodcar.html

That should be fine if you want more power in the summer. Unless so steep the panels never face directly towards sun.

A single axis tracker could have panels sloped, but then need space to avoid shading. Parallel to axis is easiest and simplest.

For fixed arrays and net metering, we usually give PV array tilt angle matching our latitude. That's why I thought South slope would be ideal. Net metering is dead. Long Live Net Metering!
I considered tilting using the pipes but didn't want to have to raise the whole array higher than it already was.

Yeah that cable Is ok.

Since you have 6 AWG wire already, you could combine 2 of your strings with a junction box at the array, and have single run for the 2 strings for MPPT 1 on the 18kpv. This would only require 6 wires + ground running from the arrays to the inverter. Only disadvantage is you will need a higher amperage rated disconnect for this one string. With 2 strings in parallel you need a discconect rated for at least 44amps, like the 60amp one: https://www.solar-electric.com/sqd600vodcar.html
I see the 18kpv only has 3 MPPTs. Does that mean I have to combine 2 strings anyway?

I see the 18kpv only has 3 MPPTs. Does that mean I have to combine 2 strings anyway?
2 strings will be combined somewhere, this can be at the inverter using the 2 inputs for MPPT1, or somewhere before the wires get to the inverter. Really depends on what works best for your install.

2 strings will be combined somewhere, this can be at the inverter using the 2 inputs for MPPT1, or somewhere before the wires get to the inverter. Really depends on what works best for your install.
Cool. I'm lucky with the new all-in-ones the learning curve is not as steep as before.
With my setup do I need optimizers?

Cool. I'm lucky with the new all-in-ones the learning curve is not as steep as before.
With my setup do I need optimizers?
The need for optimizers is going to depend if you have partial shading issues. Making sure you can get full sun on the panels most of the day is going to be best thing you can do for production.

The need for optimizers is going to depend if you have partial shading issues. Making sure you can get full sun on the panels most of the day is going to be best thing you can do for production.
Oh ok, then I shouldn't need those.

Also with easy access to the back the panels due to them being on a ground mount, you can easily add optimizers in the future.

Back