diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount pipe butt joint

Ellis Redding

Anyone who has installed a ground mount using 2" galvanized pipe,
How did you handle but joints on the horizontal pipe lengths? Is there a coupling?
Did you put the butt joint on the top of a post?

I asked ironridge this same question. They punted the question "your pipe/tubing supplier will have to supply a coupling method"
ive seen everything from standard screw couplings if useing threaded 2" galv pipe to some sort of slip collar with bolts.
I plan on welding my 3" but joints.

Sched 40 2" galvanized pipe comes in 21' sections, male threaded on both ends. Each 21' piece will have a female coupler on one end included.
Just lay your pipe across your Iron ridge post caps and thread them together, no welding necessary. Run your pipe to whatever length of your array is and cut off the excess.

I actually enjoy assembling IR ground mounts, it's like doing tinker toys, IR makes it super simple, and their system easily adjusts and hides any minor out of square issues on the vertical posts.

If you can build a fence, you can build an Iron Ridge GM!

Home depot sells 10' sections threaded on both ends with coupler, but the most cost effective is the 21' lengths since the price for the pipe in my area is 6-9 dollars A FOOT now...

Oh also, you do not have to place the butt joints over the post caps. They do fine and do not sag as long as your spans are 9 feet or less. The very first GM I did for a large solar outfit had a mistake on the plans- they called for posts on 16' centers, but spec'd 2" sched 40 (they should have spec'd 3" sched for spans that long. We built it anyway (per plan) and there was noticeable sag in the array but it still worked.

I TIG welded mine together.
Ground off all the galvanize, in & out, so as to obtain a good weld and minimize fumes.
Set up outside, upwind, worked great!

diy solar

diy solar
Back