diy solar

diy solar

Groundmount water heater discussion

2 things to note with the eco2 water heater, the heat exchanger is in the outdoor unit, so in cold climates, you need heat tape and insulation to keep it safe from freezing, also due to heat pump design there are some strict limits when using it for both heating and domestic hot water. This due to the heat pump which is designed for a single pass thru the heat exchanger that is heating cold water to hot water, and not reheating warm water.

Reactions: Zwy
2 things to note with the eco2 water heater, the heat exchanger is in the outdoor unit, so in cold climates, you need heat tape and insulation to keep it safe from freezing, also due to heat pump design there are some strict limits when using it for both heating and domestic hot water. This due to the heat pump which is designed for a single pass thru the heat exchanger that is heating cold water to hot water, and not reheating warm water.
It's actually circulating the tempered water.

When I first went off grid I bought this old tiny camper to live in while I worked to save and build my cabin.

I tested out all the 12 volt stuff but couldn't test the water heater so I took the sellers word it worked... it didn't.

So being broke I made my own passive solar water heater put of a plywood box insulated and painted white inside and several 2 liter soda bottles painted flat black on the back side, I put a salvaged single pane glass window over that and sat in the sun.

By the time I got home from work those bottles would be scorching hot and I used one mixed with cold to do dishes and a couple in a bucket with a pump hose sprayer for a shower.

Worked great but I got some odd looks from people driving by as I showered outside in my swimming trunks.

Later I got one of the black bag solar showers but it never did get as hot as those bottles.

Now I have an OD propane water heater and 35 gallon water tank under the sink to preheat to room temp and it uses pennies per shower.

However, I still have a rechargeable camp shower and bucket I could heat over a fire if I needed it again and I have used it a few times camping in the gypsy wagon.

Back