diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 24v- can I use a 24v battery charger to simulate battery?

gilcontr

Hi, I recently bought an open box growatt 24v and had plans to put 2 12v batteries in series. I have become too scared to do this as I don't want to damage the BMSs. However, I need to test it. I hooked up AC to it and nothing happened. After reading a bit, I found that there needs to be a battery input. Can I use a battery charger that outputs 24v to simulate a battery? Barring this, I don't have any way of testing it. Kind of a noob! Thanks!

In most cases, no. A charger needs to see a battery voltage to respond to it.

If you have a 24V power supply that outputs a voltage acceptable to the inverter and sufficient current, yes.

If you can measure a voltage on your charger with the leads disconnect, maybe.

What 12v batteries do you have? Simply connecting it shouldn’t damage the batteries.

When in doubt throw a 5a automotive fuse in there for protection.

What 12v batteries do you have? Simply connecting it shouldn’t damage the batteries.

When in doubt throw a 5a automotive fuse in there for protection.

They are some 280ah 12v builds with 150a JBD BMSs. They are a year apart so I don't think I can pull them apart to make a 24v battery :( 8ve been hoping of selling them and just getting a smaller eg4 24v, but noone is buying them. Basically new, too.

Last edited:
They are some 280ah 12v builds with 150a JBD BMSs. They are a year apart so I don't think I can pull them apart to make a 24v battery :( 8ve been hoping of selling them and just getting a smaller eg4 24v, but noone is buying them. Basically new, too.

Shit yes you can!

Charge them to 14.4V in parallel for two hours.

confirm all cell voltages are above 3.45V

Wire for 24V

Use a #2 pencil with both ends sharpened as a pre-charge resistor before connecting the battery.

So those 12v batteries should be plenty fine to just wire in series to test the growatt.

Buying a new BMS specifically for 24v set up is the most ideal.

Shit yes you can!

Charge them to 14.4V in parallel for two hours.

confirm all cell voltages are above 3.45V

Wire for 24V

Use a #2 pencil with both ends sharpened as a pre-charge resistor before connecting the battery.
Do you mean using a 24v BMS and rewire all the cells? They are all EVE280 grade a, but the ones older ones (with almost 300ah capacity) are physically smaller than the newer ones (about 286ah). That, and I've always heard that you need to buy them in a similar batch to have batteries that are close in internal resistance.

Or do you just mean put them in series and send it?

Thanks!

Or do you just mean put them in series and send it?

This. Make sure both batteries are fully charged first and then put them in series. When you connect 24V, you really need a pre-charge resistor to prevent triggering BMS short circuit protection.

Best practice as recommended is to replace both BMS with a single 8S, but for test purposes, I wouldn't hesitate to run whatcha brung.

This. Make sure both batteries are fully charged first and then put them in series. When you connect 24V, you really need a pre-charge resistor to prevent triggering BMS short circuit protection.

Best practice as recommended is to replace both BMS with a single 8S, but for test purposes, I wouldn't hesitate to run whatcha brung.
Got it! Thanks!!!

So I ended up plugging a desktop charger running 25v / 2 amps and it started right up. Whirring fans and all. And the readout made it look like it was inverting so that's good! Now, to figure out what to do with the batteries. Thank you all!!!

So I ended up plugging a desktop charger running 25v / 2 amps and it started right up. Whirring fans and all. And the readout made it look like it was inverting so that's good! Now, to figure out what to do with the batteries. Thank you all!!!

:)

Yes, but I mean on a permanent basis. You're still saying run them in series?

Whelp...

Since they are different size and vintage, I would be inclined to initially keep them separate and evaluate their performance.

If you decide to make it permanent, you can still keep them grouped as 4S of each type, but remove the 4S BMS from each and use an 8S BMS.

Whelp...

Since they are different size and vintage, I would be inclined to initially keep them separate and evaluate their performance.

If you decide to make it permanent, you can still keep them grouped as 4S of each type, but remove the 4S BMS from each and use an 8S BMS.
Got it. Thanks!

Back