diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000es single phase parallel operation

AF123

Hello everyone. Excuse the inquiry that may sound stupid to some, but any help would be appreciated. I have an question that i cannot find the answer to in any of the manuals or anywhere online. I have 2 Growatt 5000es inverters that I purchased recently, that I want to use in single phase parallel mode. I also have a total of 16 x 600W solar panels to power these inverters. Considering that the maximum power input for each 5000es inverter is listed as 6000W, I would like to connect 10 x 600W panels on one inverter and 6 x 600W panels on the other inverter. The reason I want to do this instead of putting 8 X 600W Panels on each inverter, is that I will be adding 4 x 600W Panels in the future to have the maximum input for both inverters of 6000W each, but the location of the first 10 panels is not very accessible, so I want to maximize the input on that first inverter, and seal off the easy access to those first 10 panels, and then in the future I would be able to just add the new 4 X 600W panels to the second array (which already has 6 x 600W) and connect them to that second inverter.. is this possible, or do both inverters have to have the equal input from the solar panels to be able to be connected in parallel?

Thanks for the help

It helps to think of the stuff inside the boxes as separate because they effectively are. While they are often referred to inverters, this is incorrect. They are best described as "All in ones" or AiO. Inverters don't charge batteries with PV. Inverters charge batteries with AC input if they are equipped with an AC charger (most (all?) AiO are). It's the MPPT in the box that's doing the charging independent of the inverter.

It is common practice to have two MPPTs with different sized arrays charging the same battery.

It helps to think of the stuff inside the boxes as separate because they effectively are. While they are often referred to inverters, this is incorrect. They are best described as "All in ones" or AiO. Inverters don't charge batteries with PV. Inverters charge batteries with AC input if they are equipped with an AC charger (most (all?) AiO are). It's the MPPT in the box that's doing the charging independent of the inverter.

It is common practice to have two MPPTs with different sized arrays charging the same battery.
Hey! Thanks for the comment! It is true that these are indeed all in one. It seems like I should be able to recharge the batteries, but I was wondering if I would be able to use the built-in parallel operation mode to utilize the total 10kw of AC at 230v, with the system being powered by unequal PV arrays. These AiO's come with connection kits to enable joining multiple units in different parallel and/or series configurations. While the manual covers the physical connections between the PV and the AiO's, AiO's and AiO's, and AiO's and batteries, as well as the mode selection in the devices' settings and setup, it does not mention anything about the recommended arrangement/division of the PV between both AiO's. The best answer I have gotten was from a local electrician who said he is not sure but he would think that the PV panels should be divided equally between both AiO's. I apologize if some of what I am saying does not make sense, but I am trying to learn more about this, and I want to make sure I am doing everything safely.

Hey! Thanks for the comment! It is true that these are indeed all in one. It seems like I should be able to recharge the batteries, but I was wondering if I would be able to use the built-in parallel operation mode to utilize the total 10kw of AC at 230v, with the system being powered by unequal PV arrays.

The inverters are powered by the batteries.

So, rather than reproducing the thread for a very similar question, here goes ...

I am intending to parallel 2 x SPF5000ES 'inverters' (or AIOs). I currently have just one. The manual does not speak about PV array sizes in parallel operation but it does mention that battery cable size/length needs to be the same. One would assume this is so that each unit would see the same voltage at its terminals: same cable with same current = same voltage drop. However, if you have different array sizes, then battery current may well be different depending on the charging current from each unit ... but thats also true if you have the same size array but with different shading. hmmm

Are any readers running this configuration and how is it working for them?

thanks in advance,
Ron

Although you can put 6kw (or more), you CANNOT exceed the max VOC. Look at your panel spec and make sure you are not going over 450v... 300v is about the sweet spot...which is about 8 panels in series.

Will it be a problem to connect two arrays in parallel with different orientation (east, south) if the input voltage is less than 450V?

Will it be a problem to connect two arrays in parallel with different orientation (east, south) if the input voltage is less than 450V?

If arrays are on their own MPPT, they can be completely different voltage and different facing.

If arrays are parallel on the same MPPT, they must have the same Vmp (or within about 10%).

Panels in series must have the same orientation, or all panels in the string will perform at the lowest performing panel's level.

If arrays are parallel on the same MPPT, they must have the same Vmp (or within about 10%).
And is it necessary to use a separation diode between arrays? Because arrays will be oriented differently and Vmp will also be different, according to the illumination of the sun.

Should be no problem. Ensure each Growatt 5000 ES has the minimum required PV voltage for startup: 150vdc
I understand that. But the arrays will not be illuminated equally throughout the day. And Volts from one array can go to another array.

I understand that. But the arrays will not be illuminated equally throughout the day. And Volts from one array can go to another array.
I run my (2) arrays separately. Array (1) feeds Growatt MPPT (1), Array (2) feeds Growatt MPPT (2). Has never been an issue in this configuration.

Back