diy solar

diy solar

Am I missing anything?

Wwiaftm

Hey all,

I have a small solar system Ive been working on for my RV project. I have 2 400 amp EG4 12v batteries and 3000w inverter charger already in place and functioning. Id like to add solar in two stages each with 600w. Currently I have ordered some cheap flex panels (understanding the risk of quality and power loss). I plan to test out 6 panels and add 6 more in the future. 2s3p I believe? 3 sets of 2 panels for the first 600 in order to keep the amps lower. Im not sure if this will require fuses but I had thought about mc4 fuses if needed. This will go into the victron 150/50 smart mppt, and fuse and then into the battery block. What i was hoping for was anything I might be missing or underrating. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post after many hours of searching.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9
Going over 3 strings calls for a fuse on each string. Combiner boxes would be safer but fuses are easier. In your picture you'd need fuses between each 2p set and its neighbors, so 6 in total.

If you take those to 3s2p you can skip the fuses all together and just go from the strings to a Y-splitter and into the SCC. Your voltages and such will be fine at 63v and 13a.

The 4awg from the controller is overkill and you might have a hard time physically getting tge wire into the screws. Silicone or high temp 8awg would be enough for each controller, then step it up to 4awg when your controllers come together.

Going over 3 strings calls for a fuse on each string. Combiner boxes would be safer but fuses are easier. In your picture you'd need fuses between each 2p set and its neighbors, so 6 in total.

If you take those to 3s2p you can skip the fuses all together and just go from the strings to a Y-splitter and into the SCC. Your voltages and such will be fine at 63v and 13a.

The 4awg from the controller is overkill and you might have a hard time physically getting tge wire into the screws. Silicone or high temp 8awg would be enough for each controller, then step it up to 4awg when your controllers come together.
Thanks for the help! I hadn't thought about going with a 3s2p to make 2 strings, Im going to head that route. I have a spare and fuse block and could run each 8awg from the controllers into it with their own 60 amp fuse. then that block can go 4awg into the battery bank.

Back