diy solar

diy solar

Growatt inverter grid tied stuck in stand by mode

frasere2

My solar system has 2 Growatt grid tied inverters, a 6kw and a 10kw. They have been working flawlessly for 2 months, then yesterday, the 10kw inverter (model min 10000TL-xh-us) just stays stuck in standby. No faults showing. I've tried the things mentioned on this site, power cycling, changing startup delay to 301 sec, changing ramp to 600 on grid code, increasing voltage max by .1. None of these worked. I also removed the AFCI fault detection at Growatt's suggestion to get it working initially, and that worked, but now nothing seems to work. Any thoughts? The first inverter is working just fine, no issues with it.

My solar system has 2 Growatt grid tied inverters, a 6kw and a 10kw. They have been working flawlessly for 2 months, then yesterday, the 10kw inverter (model min 10000TL-xh-us) just stays stuck in standby. No faults showing. I've tried the things mentioned on this site, power cycling, changing startup delay to 301 sec, changing ramp to 600 on grid code, increasing voltage max by .1. None of these worked. I also removed the AFCI fault detection at Growatt's suggestion to get it working initially, and that worked, but now nothing seems to work. Any thoughts? The first inverter is working just fine, no issues with it
Out of curiosity have you tried shutting off both ac and DC power to the unit at the same time?

Also have you verified the DC voltage is within range? 60-550v?

I have the 7.6kw version
happened to me again this morning. then turned on around 1220 pm

mine did this the first day I installed it. stuck in standby. two days later it turned on when sun came up
did it again last month, then turned on at 430 pm that afternoon
did it again last week, then turned on around 1230 pm

always pv volts are good, maybe 400v on both mppt and also AC volts around 250v

I usually have a warning 412 showing, even when its working fine

signature solar has no idea what the problem is. I have tried the fixes from the other thread and it is still happening

I had to replace a broken SMA inverter and of course they are no longer made.
This my first and only growatt and I am not impressed.
I guess as long as it only takes 1 day a week off I wont tear it off the wall...yet

also, what ever the problem is, it always is the case that it will not start up in the morning, then does later on, or next day.
it has never started in the morning and then went into standby later in the day

Last edited:
Out of curiosity have you tried shutting off both ac and DC power to the unit at the same time?

Also have you verified the DC voltage is within range? 60-550v?
Yes to both. Power cycled both dc and ac power at least 3x now. It immediately goes into standby mode and never starts the power on countdown (now 301 seconds). The voltage is within range verified by voltage meter.

I also saw the previous thread and tried all of those things. I was given a couple more suggestions so now I need to get it out of standby mode. Any suggestions? Power cycling should do it, but like I said, it goes right back into standby mode (2 sec flash on, off, far left light).

Yes to both. Power cycled both dc and ac power at least 3x now. It immediately goes into standby mode and never starts the power on countdown (now 301 seconds). The voltage is within range verified by voltage meter.

I also saw the previous thread and tried all of those things. I was given a couple more suggestions so now I need to get it out of standby mode. Any suggestions? Power cycling should do it, but like I said, it goes right back into standby mode (2 sec flash on, off, far left light).
Could you try turning it off and on in the shine tools app?

signature solar has no idea what the problem is. I have tried the fixes from the other thread and it is still happening
Don’t waste your time with signature Solar, call Growatt.

Two years ago they told me you can’t connect a battery to the inverter because it’s a grid tied inverter……..

So, I followed the following advice and got it to work:
(synchonization page, grid settings)
Changed reconnection time to 5 sec, left connection time at 301 sec
Increased voltage to 264.0
Increased frequency to 64.00

(frequency watt page, grid settings)
Changed FreqHighDerate to 60.50hz
FreqHighDerate Slope to 100%

(ramp rate, grid settings)
changed to 600 for both loading and restart gradient

(system configuration)
Turned AFCI on and off again, kept it off. Growatt suggested this is too sensitive.

Thanks to all!!!

I also removed the AFCI fault detection at Growatt's suggestion to get it working initially, and that worked,
I had to turn off AFCI on one of my inverters because I have a brushless DC well pump using 3 conductors of a 5 conductor cable, the other 2 are a PV string attached to the inverter. It’s a seldom used pump, couple times a week in summer, but until is disabled afci the inverter would trip to standby every time it started or ramped speed up down.

My solar system has 2 Growatt grid tied inverters, a 6kw and a 10kw.
Is one ac coupled to the other? Can you further describe your system? Your comment regarding setting frequency to 64 suggests a particular operating feature required by code you may be miss understanding.

I was just concerned because he pm messaged me and I said this..”If those thing don't work, It might be your power company that is getting out of voltage or hz range. I would adjust those up. I had to move mine up to 264 volts and Hz at 60.5” just concerned about the hz he entered.

Increased voltage to 264.0
Increased frequency to 64.00

(frequency watt page, grid settings)
Changed FreqHighDerate to 60.50hz
FreqHighDerate Slope to 100%
Just to be clear, if you made these changes to an inverter that is directly gridtied, you should put it back the way it was. The result of your changes is that your inverter will not behave as required by NERC 1741SA and will continue to push power onto the grid when frequency is high, that is precisely why utilities would like to make it impossible for a user to make such changes. I have done those types of changes to make my off grid system work the way I want it to, and there is no problem doing some of that to an inverter that is ac coupled to another inverter that is in turn grid tied. Be careful.

The inverter (as with a lot of inverter models) is load limited when internal temperature is high, there is a chart in the manual illustrating this.
You should consider that it’s possible that the inverter is erroneously sensing a high temperature or some other issue.

Have you called GrowattUsa support?

Attachments

• 66E336F0-C740-4D3C-A19A-41DADFA3F721.png
    66E336F0-C740-4D3C-A19A-41DADFA3F721.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 1
From your profile it appears you have two grid tied inverters, can you either sketch or describe how they are connected to your electrical system on the AC side?
I have a 400a meter base with 2 outputs, each 200a output goes to a separate 200a panel on different buildings.
each main 200a panel has its own grid tie system
1st is a 6.44 kw with sunnyboy 6.0 inverter
2nd is 7.1kw with the growatt 7.6 inverter

the growatt is once again in standby mode this morning

I have a 400a meter base with 2 outputs, each 200a output goes to a separate 200a panel on different buildings.

1) I’m curious if you have put a meter on an outlet or something and checked frequency when it’s stuck in standby? Long shot but easy to check.

2) I assume that they are using thermocouples (tc henceforth)to measure internal inverter temperature but of course don’t know. This discussion is relevant reguardless of what they use. When a control implements protection based on temperature they must decide what to do when the temperature detection fails. For example, in industrial systems it is common for a T/C wire to fail open, since an inverter has no moving parts that is unlikely but it can still happen. Regardless of how it may fail, the designer must decide wether to implement detection methods such as open wire or simply decide wether it’s failed based on the feedback value. Once they decide wether to call it failed, they have to decide what to do if their system decides it’s failed. In many cases, the designer will set the value of the failed instrument to either the max or min scale, depending on what’s most protective, in some cases they set it to the last known good value, their are a host of other things they could do. I seriously doubt that these inverters have redundant T/Cs. There is a good chance Growatt simply assumes max temperature scale when a T/C fails.

My experience is that when a T/C has a wire failing open it often makes/breaks repeatedly for months or years until it finally gives up the ghost.

I say all that to say that your temperature warning could very well be your whole problem. - call Growatt.

Hi, have you tried turning it on off via the shine tools?

Screenshot_20240226-114635.png

Also, do you mind posting this page from your shine tools app?

Screenshot_20240226-114533.png

Back