diy solar

diy solar

Growatt Shine WiFi Dongle Spikes

mattbrown006

Has anyone had issues with their Growatt ShineWiFi dongle setup showing weird spikes in the data logger? I'm running a Growatt 6k hybrid solar charge controller/inverter (SPF 6000T DVM-MPV)
with a 460ah 48v battery and 6S2P 290w solar array at a remote off grid cabin. All wires and breakers are sized and placed appropriately with good connections (I triple checked everything)

The property is 3 hours from my house, so I can't just run out and check on things easily. When I was out there setting up the system, I stayed for a week
and everything was running perfectly. Now I'm back home and I'm getting weird blips and spikes through the data logger (viewing on a browser through the
US server, not on the ShinePhone app).

I'm not connected to grid power, but a couple of times a day I'm getting blips of data about power being imported from the grid. Today, a sunny cloudless day, I got a spike showing 149 kilowatts
of production from my solar array and 7 kilowatts of load consumption, rather than the normal 900 watts it takes to run my internet router and air conditioner. I have the logger set up to report every 0.2 minutes, and the spikes typically only last one reporting interval.

Is the Wi-Fi dongle glitchy? Or is the data logger glitchy? Or should I be on the road right now to go fix a short that might be burning up my hardware and cabin?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_200917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_200917_Chrome.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230907_211857_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_211857_Chrome.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good to hear (sorta'). I've been looking at Solar Assistant... guess it's time to make the leap. I've read that you can actually run both by using a USB cable to connect to the dongle rather than inserting it directly, thus freeing up room to connect the pi.

Good to hear (sorta'). I've been looking at Solar Assistant... guess it's time to make the leap. I've read that you can actually run both by using a USB cable to connect to the dongle rather than inserting it directly, thus freeing up room to connect the pi.
You can find a Raspberry Pi on eBay for a fair price, $75 - $90. I have two licenses, one on a Pi 3b+ and one on a 4b. Download the image, pay for the license and you’re done. Never thought of running both in to a USB hub. Seems that would work as long as the hub is powered from an external supply, but I don’t miss the Growatt Shine at all.

I have a few pies (?) laying around that I bought back when they were $25 new. I didn't realize they've gone up so much. The 3b works fine?

I am experiencing the same problem. Whenever it happens, the state of charge as shown on the page goes to zero, and there is a fault event set on the page but not on the inverter.

Has anyone had issues with their Growatt ShineWiFi dongle setup showing weird spikes in the data logger? I'm running a Growatt 6k hybrid solar charge controller/inverter (SPF 6000T DVM-MPV)
with a 460ah 48v battery and 6S2P 290w solar array at a remote off grid cabin. All wires and breakers are sized and placed appropriately with good connections (I triple checked everything)

The property is 3 hours from my house, so I can't just run out and check on things easily. When I was out there setting up the system, I stayed for a week
and everything was running perfectly. Now I'm back home and I'm getting weird blips and spikes through the data logger (viewing on a browser through the
US server, not on the ShinePhone app).

I'm not connected to grid power, but a couple of times a day I'm getting blips of data about power being imported from the grid. Today, a sunny cloudless day, I got a spike showing 149 kilowatts
of production from my solar array and 7 kilowatts of load consumption, rather than the normal 900 watts it takes to run my internet router and air conditioner. I have the logger set up to report every 0.2 minutes, and the spikes typically only last one reporting interval.

Is the Wi-Fi dongle glitchy? Or is the data logger glitchy? Or should I be on the road right now to go fix a short that might be burning up my hardware and cabin?
I have the same inverter and attempted to set up the Shine monitor. It wouldn’t work at all so I bought SolarAssistant and I get funny spikes all the time. My gut tells me the gremlin is in the Growatt. How is your experience been with the SPF 6000T?

Back