diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES LED lights flickering

maximus57

I have a pair of Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES inverers, and when they are running several of my led lights in the house flicker like a strobe light. Is this normal?

I thought it might have been just one of the inverters, but now know it is both. My LED bulbs in my house are flickering/strobing on the inverters. Any ideas? I can kind of deal with it for now, but it is annoying, and could potentially cause an epileptic to have seizures (none here but just saying).

Try dimmable LED bulbs, they are designed for SCR light dimmers and should not strobe. Also try regular incandescent or halogen bulb to make sure it's not inverter voltage stability issue.

Same issue when I use my test Growatt SPF 3000 (non-ES model). Incandescent lights are fine as are appliances/etc. The LEDs, dimmable or not flicker/shimmer/etc. Just use inverter for random testing now after wife had enough of the flicker/shimmer.

Most of these cheaper Chinese inverters, regardless of brand, have the same issues.

Last edited:
I have noticed that it happens more under light load, and smooths out more when more power is being used, but still doesn't go away. I might experiment with inductance and capacitance loads. I have some relatively large old power transformers that I could try to hook up, but I don't know about the capacitance. I know in industrial settings AC capacitors are used to balance the inductive load, but a quick search does not yield any results that help me. Capacitors blow up so I need to make sure I don't do something wrong there.

I did try a friends Victron Phoenix 1200/48 for a few days, hooked up to same circuits. That was awesome, no flicking with one or many LED home circuits and no 'blinks' when refrigerators or deep freezers started up. Thinking about getting one myself just to mess with.

Upon further review I found that it is the dimmable lights that are strobing the worst. I just replaced a couple of the worst offenders with non-dimabble and they are much better.

I forgot to add that I did dig out a very large transformer for an inductance test, and it didn't have any effect. Now that I know the non-dimmable bulbs are better I probably won't try a capacitor test.

We have one 3000 SPF LVM-ES running offgrid, 120v set on UPS mode.

We have 2 strings of LED patio lights 100' that go all the way around our cabin. These lights are Feit Electric LED lights from Costco which I assume are non dimmable, although I am not sure. We have noticed a light flicker at certain loads.

Turning on another load seems to fix it. When the patio lights flicker it makes all lights inside which are dimmable also flicker. Id like to know how to fix it. I am considering putting a separate inverter for lighting to avoid this annoyance.

I have wondered if it has to do with a feedback from an electric motor as the flickering seems to always occur when we turn our air filter on high. Setting the air filter to low or medium and it stops the flickering. I thought I would add our experience in case it helps those more knowledgable on the subject to rectify these issues.

Back