diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF5000(US) overvoltage from generator?

Haxx

Heya folks,

New to the off-grid life and dealing with a lack of sun here in New Brunswick right now.
Working on setting a growatt system up in stages, and at the moment I have 15kw of batteries and 2 Growatt SPF5000 (US version, no bonding!) connected up.
One of them will be part of a set of 3 in parallel providing 15kw of split phase, the other is purely as a standalone charger (no AC output connected or enabled) for the panels on the solar shed.
I'm trying to get generator-sourced AC input working on the standalone Growatt.

I think I have all the settings right:
SBU, Bat-2-AC set to max (51.2v), AC-2-Bat of 56v, Charge from AC+Solar, 100A DC charge current, 20A (currently set at 10A for testing purposes) limit for AC-IN.
Current battery voltage around 50-51v-ish.

I have the two hots and the ground from a 240v 30a plug wired up to the AC input.
Multimeter on generator shows 240v hot->hot at no load, and growatt AC in confirms this at first as well.
When it starts to try and draw any current, the voltage goes bonkers and spikes up (300v-ish?!), causing the contactor in the growatt to disengage AC charging. Voltage then dips back down, growatt tries to turn on charging again, and the voltage spikes again.
Rinse, repeat.

I thought the generator was bad so I brought it back and exchanged it, and this is still happening.
It doesn't have a change to ramp up to any real current, as the whole engage/disengage/re-engage cycle takes maybe 2-3 seconds.

What's going on?
Did I miss something?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Back