diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH 3600

nathanharryuk

Hi, looking for some help with Growatt SPH 3600. Does anyone know the settings for the dip switch for uk on the inverter? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just switch 4 on for G98 (manual still says G83) which applies most of the time. Switch 1 & 3 on for G99 (manual says G59)
They usually rock up in the G99/G59 setting, which will function just fine, but 3.6kw 16A installations are usually being done on a G98 (notified to DNO after installation basis, limited to 16A) so changing the settings to this would be advisable.

That’s great thanks Looked everywhere. You seem like the person in the know! I don’t want to export to grid so do I need the ct clamp and do I put as battery first also using eps?

sorry to be a pain.

Set the inverter to "load first" it'll power your house as a priority, then put all of the surplus into the battery, then the rest will go back into the grid if the battery is full and the house demand is exceeded by generation.

If you don't want anything to go back into the grid at all, even when the battery is full and the demand in the house is being exceeded, you'll have to set up the export limit (to zero). Easiest way of doing this is through the shinephone app. Unless there's a specific reason to do so though, I'd just let the surplus run onto the grid.

You'll need the supplied CT clamp installed whichever way you want the system to run (or optional growatt flashed eastron modbus meter) the CT being the easier (but less accurate) option as to fit the modbus, you have to break into the meter tails.

Just on the note on the EPS. There's no (useful) way that I'm aware of to connect the EPS so that it complies with British wiring regs (BS7671) there's a line in there that says something along the lines of; the protective devices will need to work in both grid connected and "islanding" mode. The issue as I understand it is that the maximum fault current provided by the EPS output, is not enough to activate any meaningfully sized MCB, so in the event of a live to neutral fault, the MCB's on a consumer unit powered by a EPS, would not activate (in time).

Ultimately, as it's got a maximum output current, in the real world the inverter would likely just shut off the output when limits are exceeded. But I'd be uncomfortable relying on that for any form of "compliant" method of automatic disconnection of supply.

Neither NICEIC or the MCS people I've spoken to could give any sort of satisfactory answer as to how compliance could be achieved with this type of arrangement (sure you could put it on a very low rated fuse, of maybe 1A or so, but that would limit your use to a couple of 100 watts, not ideal really)

I could stand to be corrected on any of this, if someone's managed to get some more sense out of the IET or others I'd be happy to hear from them!

or optional growatt flashed eastron modbus meter
Sidenote - I've used a random Eastron SDM230 (setting baud rate to 9600 and id to 1, although you can also modify the address at the invertor) and at least one other user on the forum also got a non-Growatt supplied SDM230, which worked - so I don't think the growatt 'flashing' is really a thing. I think it's just them setting a specific address - but I could be wrong...

OMG, think I got that. I’m going to be powering the inverter from the main consumer unit to AC in, the using EPS out to separate unit that runs 1st and 2nd floor socket. I think I have read that this can done. Thanks for your help.

Sidenote - I've used a random Eastron SDM230 (setting baud rate to 9600 and id to 1, although you can also modify the address at the invertor) and at least one other user on the forum also got a non-Growatt supplied SDM230, which worked - so I don't think the growatt 'flashing' is really a thing. I think it's just them setting a specific address - but I could be wrong...
Ditto - i bought an SDM230 from Amazon and worked with my SPH6000BL-UP straight out of the box. I am never more than about 5w out and spend most of the time 0W on my smart meter display. :cool:

OMG, think I got that. I’m going to be powering the inverter from the main consumer unit to AC in, the using EPS out to separate unit that runs 1st and 2nd floor socket. I think I have read that this can done. Thanks for your help.
I am running 4 circuits on my EPS, one socket ring, one light circuit and two low power radials. I have had my entire CU tested and recertified with no issues.

Back