diy solar

diy solar

Growatt System

con244

Hello all,
I am trying to work out what may or not be a problem with my household Solar plant. This was all installed by professionals and they are trying to sort it out but I want to research and possibly sort it myself. If anything else, other people may have the same problem and see the answer to the sleepless nights here.
The system is 17 panels to a Growatt SPH5000 Hybrid inverter with a 6 KWh storage battery. The way I understand the storage system is that it charges during the day and then is used at night until it is down to about 10% capacity when the grid kicks back in. As it stands, the battery only seems to discharge to about 95% during the evening and in the morning seems to be fully charged, There are screenshots attached showing the performance from midnight to morning. On these there are regualar spikes from grid imports which I think may be the battery recharging. There is nothing on except maybe the fridges. So, does anyone know what is going on? I have also attached a copy of the general info from the ShinePhone phone app. which will hopefully give you a general idea of the system.
Appreciate all and any help anyone can offer
Con244
(Con)

Attachments

• S2.png
    S2.png
    141 KB · Views: 34
  • S1.png
    S1.png
    139 KB · Views: 33
Hello all,
I am trying to work out what may or not be a problem with my household Solar plant. This was all installed by professionals and they are trying to sort it out but I want to research and possibly sort it myself. If anything else, other people may have the same problem and see the answer to the sleepless nights here.
The system is 17 panels to a Growatt SPH5000 Hybrid inverter with a 6 KWh storage battery. The way I understand the storage system is that it charges during the day and then is used at night until it is down to about 10% capacity when the grid kicks back in. As it stands, the battery only seems to discharge to about 95% during the evening and in the morning seems to be fully charged, There are screenshots attached showing the performance from midnight to morning. On these there are regualar spikes from grid imports which I think may be the battery recharging. There is nothing on except maybe the fridges. So, does anyone know what is going on? I have also attached a copy of the general info from the ShinePhone phone app. which will hopefully give you a general idea of the system.
Appreciate all and any help anyone can offer
Con244
(Con)
It seems that they didn't got the settings right, the Growatt inverter is keeping the battery charged all the time, by using the grid power too, or the battery is too small to support the house until the sun is back.
Can you see what is the State Of Charge of the battery when the inverter starts charging from the grid after there is no more solar power coming in?

From the manual:
" 6.2 Operation modes
6.2.1 Normal mode Normal mode is working state which including online mode and backup mode. Online mode User can set an appropriate priority mode according to request when SPH working on the online mode. If customer uses the LCD and key settings, you can only set one period, but if you use website settings, you can set up to three periods of the priority mode. (refer to 6.3.4)
1. Load first: Load first is the default mode, when it's working in this mode, PV energy would offer to load and battery prior; when PV is Insufficient, battery would discharge; when PV is sufficient for load, the excess energy would feed to battery. If there is no battery or battery is full, the excess energy would feed to Grid (except anti-reflux).
2. Battery first: When SPH working in this mode, battery would be charged first, it's suitable working on the period when the electric charge is low. user need to set the mode ON and OFF time, and the end time of battery SOC. Users can set power rate which less than the battery maximum output power. If the customer doesn't enable the AC CHG (AC grid charging functions). Inverter will charge battery by PV power as large as it can do. If the customer enables the AC CHG (AC grid charging functions). Inverter will charge battery by PV power and AC power from grid as large as it can do.
3. Grid first: When SPH working in Grid-first mode, the PV energy would feed to Grid first. User can choose the period when electric charge is high. User need to set the mode ON and OFF time, and the end time of battery SOC. User can set power rate which less than the battery maximum output power.............."

It seems that they didn't got the settings right, the Growatt inverter is keeping the battery charged all the time, by using the grid power too, or the battery is too small to support the house until the sun is back.
Can you see what is the State Of Charge of the battery when the inverter starts charging from the grid after there is no more solar power coming in?

From the manual:
" 6.2 Operation modes
6.2.1 Normal mode Normal mode is working state which including online mode and backup mode. Online mode User can set an appropriate priority mode according to request when SPH working on the online mode. If customer uses the LCD and key settings, you can only set one period, but if you use website settings, you can set up to three periods of the priority mode. (refer to 6.3.4)
1. Load first: Load first is the default mode, when it's working in this mode, PV energy would offer to load and battery prior; when PV is Insufficient, battery would discharge; when PV is sufficient for load, the excess energy would feed to battery. If there is no battery or battery is full, the excess energy would feed to Grid (except anti-reflux).
2. Battery first: When SPH working in this mode, battery would be charged first, it's suitable working on the period when the electric charge is low. user need to set the mode ON and OFF time, and the end time of battery SOC. Users can set power rate which less than the battery maximum output power. If the customer doesn't enable the AC CHG (AC grid charging functions). Inverter will charge battery by PV power as large as it can do. If the customer enables the AC CHG (AC grid charging functions). Inverter will charge battery by PV power and AC power from grid as large as it can do.
3. Grid first: When SPH working in Grid-first mode, the PV energy would feed to Grid first. User can choose the period when electric charge is high. User need to set the mode ON and OFF time, and the end time of battery SOC. User can set power rate which less than the battery maximum output power.............."
Hi Tev, thanks for your reply. You are right they didn't get the settings right. It looks like the installer has contacted Growatt here in Australia and they have just customized the programming so that it charges first then takes care of the load. I think this will be the most efficient way of using our system as we aren't usually home during the day and that is why we elected to buy a battery straight away. I will see how this new program works out. Thanks again
con244
Con

August 2022 we had a team out from Autosolar to install our new solar system here in Cataluña. And we´ve had many issues. Mainly becuse most "professionals" dont have the time.

So i´ve been reading and i cannot find anyting about it. The house is now 100% electic, heatpumps all over. Generating 1MWH a month. We´ve got 14 panels monoperc 455w a Growatt MIN 6000 TL-XH with 4 ARC batteries and a BMS, the Backup Box, + smart meter. many issues with the right connection methods. Had the BMS changed once.

So we now pay 14 cent /KWH and we get paid 10 cent /KWH. Really we dont need the batteries now.

How do i save the batteries in the best way, untill we again need the capacity. My best offer is to put the Inverter into "Battery First" and then what? I dont want the batteries to be @ SOC 100%. We´ve had issues with so many things. Latest PE abnormal. Witch is a grounding issue? I get told by the installer to alter the settings, to ignore the problem. I cannot, but as you all know its easy just telling people how not to do anything about it. I cannot emperzize enough that; Dont use autosolar, its cheep and very little cheerfull. Had to re do many connections, very low quality. They will tell you many stories so they dont have to do anyting. That a side..

Please, I dont need our batteries for at least the next year, what settings do i put into the inverter to best preserve the batteries, i dont need them unless the power shuts off from the street because of rain, or any other issues. And is it true that i sould have the SOC at 95 max?

Back