diy solar

diy solar

Gti2 inverter battery

Alcancetres

Hello, I have at home a small installation of 2 solar panels of 320w each that I inject into a 110v phase by a Gtil2 1000w inverter. Thanks to this configuration, I can produce about 2kw per day, it's little but as I use the gtil2 with a limiter that's what I need. I would now like to improve my system and if it is possible to reduce my consumption when night falls and the panels no longer produce. So I would need other panels, a controller, batteries and another gtil2 inverter to inject at night. So I will have 2 systems one for the day, the other for the night. I calculate that for the night I will also need about 2kw per night. Could you help me, tell me if it is feasible, and especially how to find an economical and viable solution in terms of batteries. Thank you

The 1000W GTIL accepts 22-65v, so a 48V battery will work just fine.

However, I don't think you have enough solar panels to charge the battery enough in a day.

You have 2 x 320w panels. They would have to run at 100% efficiency for 8 hours to fully charge a 48V 100ah battery. As it's not likely to happen, you probably want to add some more panels. If you can, at least double what you have, and put them in 4s or 2s2p configuration. If the sun is up by 8am it should be able to completely charge it by lunchtime / early afternoon.

The good thing about going to a PV to charge controller to battery to GTIL configuration you won't have to worry about the 22-65v limitation of the GTIL and just need to watch your amp draw, which is configurable in the GTIL. As they're just a reference design made by lots of companies, with varying quality standards, start at 15A and work up to no more than 25A.

A 48v battery is perfect for your 22-65 GTIL as it's in the middle of the range and won't run it as hard / hot (higher volts = lower amps = less heat), but if budgetary concerns pushed you to a 24v battery (or two 12s in series) you can do that but expect to have to limit performance.

For a charge controller that could cater to either situation, I quite like the look of the HQST 60A SCC as it'll do up to 150v PV and 60A, supports 12/24/48v battery configurations, can be paralleled, has low temp cut off, and a nice Bluetooth app.

So to recap...

- Do math, decide panel configuration, sun hours available, buy more panels.
- Panels > charge controller > bus bars.
- Battery > bus bars.
- GTIL to bus bars.
- Use a pre-charge resistor when connecting the GTIL to avoid inrush from the battery.

You'll need to experiment with the GTIL's cut off and reboot voltages that work for your production level.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Back