diy solar

diy solar

Gut check - am I crazy?

I think with the push to have all-electric construction, hybrid gas (or other fossil fuel)/electric appliances should be allowed.
That would let PV and wind power furnace and water heater, yet gas is available as a backup when needed to take strain off the grid.
This approach would allow a greater utilization of renewables, reducing fossil fuel usage.
there are lots of appliances in the home which are counteracting heat forces.

1. Fridge/Freezer wants cool inside and produces heat outside
2. Water heater wants hot inside and uses heat
3. A/C wants cool inside and produces heat outside
4. Heatpump water heater wants warm inside and produces cold outside

My central A/C unit uses about 30 kW/h a day and I'm very much annoyed about that fact that I still have a to pay for heating water. There is an giant amount of heat pumped out, could heat my water use 10x with the energy.

Every A/C unit should have a tap for warm water. Every fridge should have a warm water tap.

A fridge could be a simple point of use waterheater for the kitchen. Just add a small passive insulated tank under the kitchen sink, and the fridge could replenish while it's cooling.

Last edited:
3 years …wow .. I only have about 2 years supply ..I’m envious.. good foresight…!
I'm testing a biogas digester, produces indefinite amounts of methane biogas as long as you keep feeding it with yard waste and scraps.

Feeds a BBQ and a cooktop. If testing is good, I'm going to build something more permanent.

I'm testing a biogas digester, produces indefinite amounts of methane biogas as long as you keep feeding it with yard waste and scraps.

Feeds a BBQ and a cooktop. If testing is good, I'm going to build something more permanent.

Don't forget to do this, keep your batteries topped up. You can buy extra gas bags from homebiogas.com also.

Biogas Generator!

How long could you run that generator on a "tank" of biogas? He's using an air mattress.
Beats me. But if it's possible to run it off a small 1000watt propane generator, and you have the space, and the poop or food waste to give it, it sounds like it could be fun.

Obviously it isn't going to have a rapid payback, or any payback, it's more for the entertainment value / ability to generate electricity from trash.

So, practically speaking, you would feed the biogas system, and once a week, maybe generate 500W for 1/2 hr?

Sounds generous, but sure. You could always leave one of the biogas toilet attachments out in your front yard and hope people will contribute to your gas production.

So, practically speaking, you would feed the biogas system, and once a week, maybe generate 500W for 1/2 hr?
you get about 2-3 hrs worth of gas/day for a single burner out of the bag. More then enough for cooking needs.

We got horses ;) so plenty of fuel for the bacteria in the system available. They collect the fuel from the pasture, concentrate it, add fertilizer and deposit in it in the barn. Where we just have to add it to biogas digester.

Sounds generous, but sure. You could always leave one of the biogas toilet attachments out in your front yard and hope people will contribute to your gas production.
humans don't produce much fuel for the system. But you need like a bit more quantity.

You don't have a wife that loves to cook, likes a cold home, dries laundry until it crunches, and a son that takes a shower until all the hot water turns cold. :eek: Everything is electric.

We average +60kwh a day and our house is very well insulated. Recently took the shop off grid but it looks to have only reduced the utility bill maybe ~$25. Other than a frig and freezer, not a lot out there that sees constant use.
Your family needs some prepper training. ;)

Reactions: JRH
Your family needs some prepper training. ;)
He needs to introduce them to a Mr Hugo event for a week or two…my whole family was like that before it hit…They were Completely the opposite afterward…

I'm designing my system for Thanksgiving dinner with the extended family. lol

you get about 2-3 hrs worth of gas/day for a single burner out of the bag. More then enough for cooking needs.

We got horses ;) so plenty of fuel for the bacteria in the system available. They collect the fuel from the pasture, concentrate it, add fertilizer and deposit in it in the barn. Where we just have to add it to biogas digester.

humans don't produce much fuel for the system. But you need like a bit more quantity.
How is the testing going? Which size did you get and how do you like it?

For me, it's for saving money. And kicking the utility company to the curb. lol
I never understand this sentiment. Baffles me, firstly the payback on a battery system is awful. Why would I want to kick anyone.

Electricity is a “ utility “ it really doesn’t matter where it comes from , a PV panel , a power station or from another country. Electrons don’t care.

Hence it’s all simply a numbers game , for me maximum ROI must be three years.

Back