diy solar

diy solar

Hacking Inverter-Generator: Remove Inverter and charge battery pack directly from generator

pullin_gs

Interested in charging 16Kwh 36V battery directly from Inverter-Generator (Not interested in using powersupply tied to 120VAC output of inverter-generator.
Has anyone ever removed/bypassed inverter portion of generator and dumped DC generator output (or rectified AC alternator output?) directly into battery?

From the schematics of inverter generators I have seen, you will likely have trouble gaining access to any high power DC from the inverter module.

This is something I've been wanting to do, but you would have to rewind the alternator windings so they produce the appropriate voltage for your battery bank. I have a feeling it maybe possible, at least with some inverter generators, to split up and rewire the windings such that they produce lower voltage and higher current suitable for battery charging, without having to actually rewind them, but I haven't actually laid my hands on one to play with it and see.

Not going to be possible.
Kind of like saying I need a three cylinder engine, so I will buy a V8 and just saw off five cylinders.
Well that is possible, just not practical.
But I don't see how that analogy is remotely applicable to either rewiring or rewinding (which are you referring too?) the alternator in an inverter generator. Rewinding it would totally possible, with less turns of heavier wire. Maybe too time consuming to be worthwhile, I don't know.
As for rewiring it, I said I wasn't sure, but it might be similar to rewiring a fisher and paykel washing machine motor for a wind turbine. Put the poles in parallel rather than in series.

Rewinding ?
Why bother.

You could saw up a V8 and have a custom three throw crank ground with a custom camshaft and distributor.
And with a LOT of welding its possible. Anything is possible if you are a crazy millionaire.
Just totally impractical.
Exactly as you say.

Rewinding ?
Why bother.
Because there is an abundance of inverter generators with dead inverters that can be had cheap or free, and its either not possible or prohibitively expensive to obtain a replacement inverter board.

Small high current low voltage DC generators suitable for direct charging of battery banks are neither common place nor cheap. At least not right now, in the west.

So potentially it would provide a cheap high current DC power supply, that you can't easily buy off the shelf.

And if rewinding the stator was too hard, another possible option would to be to buy another stator (and rotor, if need be) wound for your desired voltage straight of china, but you would want to take care to make sure it will fit on the engine of whatever inverter generator you wound up with.

Seriously though, converting a V8 to a 3 cylinder is orders of magnitude more complicated and less practical than rewinding a few poles on a stator. I can't of any reason why anyone would do that, unless you lived in some bizarre alternate universe with an over abundance of V8 engines and absolutely no access to any smaller engines, and you absolutely had to have a smaller engine.

Its not unheard of for guys to rewind motorcycle stators (I've done it myself), and they look very similar to the stator in an inverter generator. I just don't see why it would be such a big deal.

Even easier would be to take the existing three phase ac voltage and feed that into a three phase transformer (or three individual single phase transformers). The secondaries could then be wound for any voltage/current you wish for.

All much easier than rewinding the actual alternator. Then all you need to do is design the control electronics.

Even easier would be to take the existing three phase ac voltage and feed that into a three phase transformer (or three individual single phase transformers). The secondaries could then be wound for any voltage/current you wish for.

All much easier than rewinding the actual alternator. Then all you need to do is design the control electronics.

If you could trip over an appropriate transformer, sure.

Transformer design is not that difficult.
Here in Oz, many of us are building our own inverters and designing and winding our own transformers.
Its all a lot easier than rewinding a motor or an alternator.

Transformer design is not that difficult.
Here in Oz, many of us are building our own inverters and designing and winding our own transformers.
Its all a lot easier than rewinding a motor or an alternator.
I'm well aware of the homemade inverters and transformers and I have plans to build my own. Still not convinced that building a transformer from scratch is going to be easier than rewinding the stator from an inverter generator. Certainly not going to be cheaper. If we were talking about a traditional two or pole radial flux alternator, or even an automotive style alternator, sure, that sounds like a pain in the ass. The permanent magnet out runner style shouldn't be so bad, if my experience with motorcycle stators is anything to go by.

Back