diy solar

diy solar

Had an electrician visit...

What is the make/model of the breaker? In my experience, if it is labeled 125A, then it will trip both legs if either leg hits 125A.
Yes, because it is assumed (and proper) that a two pole breaker is used on the two legs of the same circuit, so current is the same on both legs.

Do not use one half of a 2 pole breaker on one circuit and the other half on another circuit.

This is the breaker. I'm not talking about putting it in and walking away. Just installing for 5-10min to increment and then remove.

20230102_094146.jpg20230102_094152.jpg20230102_094158.jpg

I'll wait for the other 1P breakers to arrive.

For my edification, will it break

1) only when one line hits 125A

or

2) when both when one line hits 125 or when the two lines together add up to 125A?

Yes I understand there is nuance to what I am asking based on actual load and duration of load.

I'll wait for the other 1P breakers to arrive.

For my edification, will it break

1) only when one line hits 125A

or

2) when both when one line hits 125 or when the two lines together add up to 125A?

Yes I understand there is nuance to what I am asking based on actual load and duration of load.
It will break if 1 line hits 125A

How did he determine the incoming service is 100A? You might find the service size on your electric bill. If not you could call the electric company. Having said that, an install that old probably is 100A or less...
I just called the electric company and asked what my service was, and their answer was 240V. They could not tell me how many amps, they said they have no more info on that. I know it has 2 125A breakers as per the photo.
can you believe that! :oops:

I just called the electric company and asked what my service was, and their answer was 240V. They could not tell me how many amps, they said they have no more info on that. I know it has 2 125A breakers as per the photo.
can you believe that! :oops:
Sadly, I can believe that..... particularly if it is an older house. Utility companies are mostly very old companies that have 1) become quite bureaucratic and 2) have gone through multiple iterations of information storage methods. It is reasonable to assume that when the service was installed they recorded the information. My guess is that 1 of 2 things has happened.

1) They lost the information.
2) They have the information recorded on paper in some dusty store room and can't be bothered to go get it for you.

If I had to guess I would say it is #2.

For meeting NEC code. Kinda yes, Kinda no. For the most part, if you don't make any changes there are no upgrade requirements. There are places in the code that says if a particular type of equipment is replaced or even repaired that part of the system must be brought up to a particular code. However, I have never seen anything in the code that requires upgrades to unrelated parts of the system.

Local building departments are a whole different story. They can require upgrades to unrelated items. Some building departments figure they can require anything they want when you ask for a permit. I once had to add a sewer cleanout at the street just to get a permit for a room extension that had nothing to do with the sewer. When I asked why they just said "Because it is their policy". (I knew better than to try to fight it..... they have all the power)

In the OP's case, I could easily see an inspector requiring the whole panel to be swapped out if anything at all is done to the panel. (and, IMHO, it would not be that unreasonable of a requirement)

When it comes to insurance, it is entirely up to the insurance company. They can refuse to ensure it or require the owner to pay more if it is not upgraded. Often, they just assume what is in a house based on when it was built and the owner does not even know they are paying more because of the assumptions. My son just got his fire insurance significantly reduced by adding an earthquake gas valve on his 1914 house. (Earthquake valves are required for new construction where he lives). He added the earthquake valve because he wanted to, but the guy he hired to do it told him to check with his insurance.... and sure enough, he got a reduction in his rates. (No one even asked about the gas when he first bought the house)
This depends on what state you are in or for that matter what country you r in. I am fluent in new yuck and Florida code. Inspectors do NOT have the leeway to ask for anything that is not in the nec

In small centres starving for investment, you can use the following approach:
I submitted preliminary plans and asked for a review and any township requirements, when they came back with a "wish list" of items many unrelated to the project, I told them, "okay thanks, knowing up front I will be forced to do this long list of items, I have decided not to bother with (an addition) I will leave the property as is" aka -and the taxes will remain as is too.
A few days later the building official called and removed most of the laundry list of "requirements".
This will never work in big city centres, but I can tell you from my experience in small rural locals, they are more than happy to forgo 'policy' if it means that you do improvements they can use to justify higher property tax. The key was telling them I needed the list and requirements for pricing prior to making the decision to go forward with the project, rather than showing up with a 'I am going to do this addition attitude" and they can impose whatever wish-list of items they want since they know your committed already. Has worked for me on two properties in two different locations.
You will also find that in specific areas the code inspector has no clue what they are doing

I got my 60A single pole breakers for the inverters. To keep my system testing together, I'm going to post results of grid pass through and charging in my build thread below.

Back