diy solar

diy solar

Handling high power without causing voltage drop?

LifePart2

Having just upgraded my solar array, I want to add some high-power appliances, eg electric kettle and induction plate cooking but am not sure if it will work with my current setup. Would appreciate some thoughts and suggestions. There is a bit of history here, so please excuse the long post, just want to provide all the needed info.

I am using 4s 300 aH Winston cells. They are charged using a Blue Sky SB3000i MPPT controller, plus their IPN Pro remote, which is capable of terminating charge at a set absorption voltage (currently set to 14.4v) when the current drops to a set amount (currently set at 0.015 C = 4.5 amps). The current is measured at the shunt just outside of the main battery fuse, so does measure total in and out current (apart from the tiny drain from the cell monitors).

Since the BlueSky measures the voltage at battery level rather than cell level, I also have a cell voltage monitoring system that will first alarm and then shut off charging sources when any cell hits a target voltage, currently set at 3.65.

I also have wind generation and occasional engine/alternator generation, both of which are switched of at a cell voltage of 3.6v and remain off for a timed period of 2 hours.

The net effect of this should be to almost charge the cells (a few missing percent is of no concern to me), while avoiding the risk of overcharging. It does mean there might be some gradual memory effect due to undercharging chronically.

We have the normal draws on the battery - fridge, lights, computers, navigation and autohelm etc.

With all of that we cycle down to, at most about 80% SOC overnight. Often much higher if the wind is blowing in the anchorage.

All of this was working well, and the cells were nicely balanced, until about three years ago when I screwed up and overdischarged my cells while the boat was on the hard and we were away.

So then I ordered some new Winston cells directly from China. Eventually they arrived and I top-balanced them. Since our 17year old solar panels seemed to be less effective and on many days we were not getting up to fully charge we also added some more panels. Now we are at fully charged by lunchtime.

Now we notice that at full charge one of my cells (no. 3) is consistently a bit higher than the others. This cuts off the charging before the others reach their full voltage. I am presuming that that once cell is not matched to the other three.

Since we now have all the excess solar power, we would like to add some electric cooking - eg an electric kettle and maybe an induction plate.

But, here is the question. When I draw 100 amp (eg with the windlass or a hair dryer) the voltage drops right down, maybe to 11.4v (= 2.85v per cell.) It recovers immediately, of course, when I turn it off and everything then carries on as normal. But if I run, say a heat gun, for a few minutes, the voltage drop sets off all the low voltage alarms.

Also then when the windlass stopped, the backflow was enough to reset all the navigation instruments, so I moved them over to be supplied by the SLA start battery that is downstream (via a diode) from the LFP house pack. So the chargers see both batteries, but the house loads see only the house bank.

So, am I able to do high current draws like this? The spec sheets say the optimal discharge current is 150A and for short periods (15 minutes from full) I can go way higher than that. But how do I do that if it is going to trigger the low voltage alarms and disconnects? Does it matter if the voltage drops far down while the current is actually flowing?

My initial thought was to increase the number of cells, but Norkyn Design's articles suggested to me that that is perhaps not the best solution, as it would prevent full cycling of the batteries.

So, any thoughts and suggestions on my setup and how I might run a kettle or induction plate?

My own personal preference, is I would just say to add more cells. I have six 4s packs in my motorhome for 1680Ah total, and I run huge loads and voltage doesn't drop barely at all, I'd rather not have to sit and worry about power is my philosophy.

According to this site it is better anyway to not deeply discharge LFP cells for longer cell life:

"

Tip 4: Charge frequently and shallower cycles

With lithium batteries, you will get longer cell life if you avoid very deep discharges. We recommend sticking to 70-80% DoD (Depth of Discharge) maximum except in emergencies.
"

To me, I don't think it matters much on LFP, full cycling isn't needed..

So far, the most I've ever seen my battery bank draw down to is about 75% SoC (like 25% DoD). I guess we'll see how long it lasts in years...

Besides, I've heard LFP cells will last longer when they are charged/discharged at lower C-rates anyways...

And on your question:
"Does it matter if the voltage drops far down while the current is actually flowing?"

Not really, as long as it's still within the input voltage range of the load device (and above voltage for all your alarm buzzers). Keep in mind, there are load types where, when the voltage drops, the amps increases to get the same watts. Like boost converter devices for example, I've seen when the voltage would get too low they can draw a lot more amps than they would if the voltage were higher (sometimes leading to a cascading effect)...

One time I blew a cigarette lighter fuse running a small inverter, as the car battery started dipping lower and lower, and the inverter eventually drew more than 10a and blew the fuse (the voltage was still higher than the inverter low voltage shutoff so it never shut off before it drew the current up enough to blow the fuse)...

Adding more cells was indeed my initial thought. But then I read Nordkyn's stuff where he says quite the opposite - that it is bad to keep Lithium cells near to full, and that one should cycle them down rather than keep topping them up. So that lead me to think about just keeping what I have. But then I run into the low voltage thing when I draw power (ie if I use a kettle or induction plate). The question about the low voltage was whether it damages the cells to go that low in use (not the same as open circuit low voltage). I am surprised that the voltage drops that much with what should be still a moderate current draw (100A), being less than the recommended discharge rate (150A). If it is not a problem, then I can just set the low voltage alarms a bit lower (currently at 3.0v - maybe go to 2.8 or 2.7) and see what happens.

The other issue is that these cells are now a couple of years old (and I suspect that cell 3 is not matched to the others) so, do I add new Winston cells to the existing old cells (one new paralleled with one old) - expensive , or do I buy a set of 8 (or maybe 12 or even 16) new EVE LF280k cells for less money? I could get 12 cells for about the same as 4 Winstons. And then I would have heaps of capacity. Which Nordkyn says is a bad thing, but I had always assumed was a good thing in terms of cell longevity.

And then what do I do with 4 perfectly (?) good Winstons? I guess I could use them as my starboard starter battery as the SLA there is done for and needs replacing.

Or maybe I just forget the whole upgrading thing and just keep what I have, continuing with propane instead of trying to partly go electric. Just with all that spare solar it seems a bit of a shame.

Last edited:
Adding more cells was indeed my initial thought. But then I read Nordkyn's stuff where he says quite the opposite - that it is bad to keep Lithium cells near to full, and that one should cycle them down rather than keep topping them up. So that lead me to think about just keeping what I have. But then I run into the low voltage thing when I draw power (ie if I use a kettle or induction plate). The question about the low voltage was whether it damages the cells to go that low in use (not the same as open circuit low voltage). I am surprised that the voltage drops that much with what should be still a moderate current draw (100A), being less than the recommended discharge rate (150A). If it is not a problem, then I can just set the low voltage alarms a bit lower (currently at 3.0v - maybe go to 2.8 or 2.7) and see what happens.

The other issue is that these cells are now a couple of years old (and I suspect that cell 3 is not matched to the others) so, do I add new Winston cells to the existing old cells (one new paralleled with one old) - expensive , or do I buy a set of 8 (or maybe 12 or even 16) new EVE LF280k cells for less money? I could get 12 cells for about the same as 4 Winstons. And then I would have heaps of capacity. Which Nordkyn says is a bad thing, but I had always assumed was a good thing in terms of cell longevity.

And then what do I do with 4 perfectly (?) good Winstons? I guess I could use them as my starboard starter battery as the SLA there is done for and needs replacing.

Or maybe I just forget the whole upgrading thing and just keep what I have, continuing with propane instead of trying to partly go electric. Just with all that spare solar it seems a bit of a shame.

Yeah, maybe some other people will kick in with some of their opinions later, but my opinion is I just don't worry about it too much. I've seen guys get so paranoid about trying to get 6999 cycles out of their batteries... Do they worry about their laptop battery so much? When my laptop gets crappy battery life, I just go get a new one and stick in it. Same with my cell phone, just replace it when it reaches the end of its service life. Now they even recycle lithium batteries, so it's not really unsustainable to dispose of lithium batteries anymore (if done through proper channels).

I generally don't worry about it and won't lose any sleep over how many cycles my batteries will provide. I just use Victron's default charger curve for LFP, and full is about 13.48v right now, and whatever it goes down to by the middle of the night I don't worry about really, I know it's got lots of reserve to get through days of clouds though.

I can even run the air conditioner for up to 9 hours if I want. If the performance starts to suffer, I will just add more packs later since they aren't incredibly expensive. I could just buy 8 cells every year and add them on if I wanted and wouldn't be horrible price. Then take off cells that get too weak and pulling it down too much.

Everyone has their own strategy but I am the mechanic type person (was a mechanic for many years), and I just have an attitude of build it how you need it to be to service your needs well, and if it fails, cross that bridge when we get there, and fix it then, no problem.

I guess years is bad for LFP too, so my thinking is I'd be lucky to get 7-10 years and 2000 cycles out of any set anyways.

Last edited:
yeah, you are right. No point stressing. That day will come in multiple years unless something else happens to fry them

At the moment I think I am coming to the conclusion that the 4 cells that EVLITHIUM sent me were not new balanced cells. Maybe some used junk. As far as I can determine there is no reason the voltage should drop that far with a simple 100amp draw on a set of new balanced cells. They also lied to me about other stuff. That's China for you.

So, I guess the obvious plan is to just get a set of new cells from Jenny Wu who seems to be well recommended.

Thanks for helping with your thoughts.

Noel

yeah, you are right. No point stressing. That day will come in multiple years unless something else happens to fry them

At the moment I think I am coming to the conclusion that the 4 cells that EVLITHIUM sent me were not new balanced cells. Maybe some used junk. As far as I can determine there is no reason the voltage should drop that far with a simple 100amp draw on a set of new balanced cells. They also lied to me about other stuff. That's China for you.

So, I guess the obvious plan is to just get a set of new cells from Jenny Wu who seems to be well recommended.

Thanks for helping with your thoughts.

Noel

Sure no prob, good luck on your journey bro...

Back