diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone had any issues with an installation on Roof Shingles?

SSC00

Due to constraints on the size of my property, I will have to install solar on my asphalt shingle roof. My roof is about 5 years old too. Has anyone had any issues with roof mount installations? what can I do to minimize risk of leaking? What mounting systems are recommended and which ones do I avoid? My home is single story and has a gable roof.

I just installed racking on a shingle roof, but I tried to ensure I wouldn’t have to repair the roof in the future:

First I put a couple of coats of a ‘permanent’ white elastomeric silicone paint on. Crazy expensive at around $100/gal but see repair frequency above.

Then I used https://www.ironridge.com/component/halo-ultragrip/ with short spacing, 3 rows per panel, and lots of screws. We are subject to hurricanes, and getting repairs in a timely fashion after a hurricane can be (ahem) very difficult. Like “blue tarps for years” difficult.

Only time will tell, but I think we did a pretty good job, and I’m hoping it will outlive me. 😁

I just installed racking on a shingle roof, but I tried to ensure I wouldn’t have to repair the roof in the future:

First I put a couple of coats of a ‘permanent’ white elastomeric silicone paint on. Crazy expensive at around $100/gal but see repair frequency above.

Then I used https://www.ironridge.com/component/halo-ultragrip/ with short spacing, 3 rows per panel, and lots of screws. We are subject to hurricanes, and getting repairs in a timely fashion after a hurricane can be (ahem) very difficult. Like “blue tarps for years” difficult.

Only time will tell, but I think we did a pretty good job, and I’m hoping it will outlive me. 😁
ok. cool. I have heard that Ironridge makes a really solid roof mount. I didn't know they had something like this.

wow. iron ridge rails are very expensive or i am doing something wrong with their design software.

Back