diy solar

diy solar

Have I destroyed my Lynx distributor?

fnm3500

How critical is the gap between the bolt and the hole in the lug?
I’m in the process of upgrading our camper from a single wet cell to a 300 ah battery bank. I drilled the Lynx pos & neg feeds to directly connect the disconnect and monitor to the Lynx however I first used a 3/8” bit which was too small so enlarged with a step bit to 7/16” that wobbled a little. How tight a fit should there be between the bolt of the disconnect and monitor and the holes I drilled in the Lynx? I really don’t want to burn us or system components up, how big a problem have I made? And if it’s big enough what are the recommended solutions?

Attachments

• Schematic plan.pdf
    189.3 KB · Views: 11
The purpose of the bolts is not to conduct current but to ensure maximum contact between the terminal lugs and the bus bar and hold them firmly in place.

So you're probably ok just check to make sure the cables don't move when bolted in place and with a multimeter check the resistance from the other end of the cables to the busbar to make sure that it's similarly low as your other connections to the busbar.

You might want to use nylon locking nuts and some good sized flat washers between the nut and the lugs to be on the safe side.

If the cables end up loose or the resistance is too high maybe try a bigger bolt? I don't understand why you had to drill new holes or why you didn't just use a bit that was the correct size for the bolts you were intending use so there could be something I'm missing.

This ^^. There shouldn't be any need to drill into a distributor.
And, without a picture of the "crime" I am out.

Back