diy solar

diy solar

having all pannels on single string

koutroul

what are the disadvantages having all 30 solar panels of South, East, West on a single string ( the inverter supports 2 stings but installer connected all pannels inton one).

SE10K solaredge inverter and 30
Longi LR5-54HPH-420M
pannels with optimizers facing 3 directions (all on a single string)

an example of a drawback i can think od is 'single point of failure'.i you have 1 line instead of 2 then if that single one is down you will have no production?

Can you think of any other drawbacks of having all 30 panels on a single string?

Last edited:
Deleted.
I didn't read the question correctly.

Last edited:
30 panels in series is too high Voc. Unless 12V panels and 1000V inverter. Or unless SolarEdge.

Multiple orientations in one string drags down entire string to lowest current. Unless optimizers, including SolarEdge.

What is good is 10 panels South, 10 panels East, 10 panels West, three strings in parallel.

All on one MPPT would be higher current, more losses than splitting between multiple MPPT.

Panel model? Inverter model?

Deleted.
I didn't read the question correctly.

Last edited:
30 panels in series is too high Voc. Unless 12V panels and 1000V inverter. Or unless SolarEdge.

Multiple orientations in one string drags down entire string to lowest current. Unless optimizers, including SolarEdge.

What is good is 10 panels South, 10 panels East, 10 panels West, three strings in parallel.

All on one MPPT would be higher current, more losses than splitting between multiple MPPT.

It’s a solar edge inverter (was in original post).

I think it comes down to if there is a single string limit (should be in data sheet). Would be advised to look for signs of clipping too.

SE10K solaredge inverter and 30 pannels with optimizers facing 3 directions (all on a single string)
I recommend that you edit your title so it’s much clearer that you want help with this specific SolarEdge inverter. Maybe also ask if there is a single string limit.

?‍♂️

I should read not skim.

Works as done. There will be some limits to optimizer shift of current.
I'd think using both MPPT might be better, efficiency and lifespan if nothing else. Over 12kW of panels on single input on 10W inverter.
As Zany said, may be a wattage limit per string. What is the highest output you ever observe?

p

Longi LR5-54HPH-420M
Solaresge SE10K.
no batteries, connected to the grid

?‍♂️

I should read not skim.

Works as done. There will be some limits to optimizer shift of current.
I'd think using both MPPT might be better, efficiency and lifespan if nothing else. Over 12kW of panels on single input on 10W inverter.
As Zany said, may be a wattage limit per string. What is the highest output you ever observe?
where can i see the highest output?

OK I did see that in my search but I discounted it because it’s a commercial thing. Thanks for confirming.

I don’t see a per input limit on the data sheet. So you would have to dig further to see if that can be believed. If I was using this I’d probably not be happy with just looking at this data sheet.

Longi LR5-54HPH-420M
Solaredge se10k
with 30 optimizers
no batteries, connected to the grid

DC input two 4MC pairs.
I think those just parallel, one string or two no big difference.
SolArk SolarEdge architecture splits MPPT and inverter between this base unit and module level electronics.
Possibly two strings alters efficiency, less voltage conversion.
But not wrong how they did it.

where can i see the highest output?

It may have a display, or report on website.
But I don't think there is anything wrong with how it is done. Unlike other inverters it doesn't have multiple MPPT. Just a couple input connectors, paralleled inside.

Tracking its performance will tip you off if anything malfunctions. See if you can get reports on a per-module basis. The module-level optimizer electronics can fail, and a couple out of 30 you may not notice in the total, at least not unless you track closely over time and compare average per week/month one year to the next.

Last edited:
750V nominal, 900V Max

Voc 37.75

Are they counting on the different directions to panels face to lower the voltage? Never a chance of all them getting Sun at the same time?

30 panels x 37.75V = 1132.5V

Or is Solaredge system designed to handle that?

Last edited:
One day worth of datapoints is a start, but c’mon you know that’s not going to hack it.

Is that from the highest production that you’ve seen? Was the system installed in the summer during the peak production for the site?

One day worth of datapoints is a start, but c’mon you know that’s not going to hack it.

Is that from the highest production that you’ve seen? Was the system installed in the summer during the peak production for the site?
installed in mid september and highest should be in July that was not there.

Back