diy solar

diy solar

having all pannels on single string

SolArk architecture splits MPPT and inverter between this base unit and module level electronics.
Possibly two strings alters efficiency, less voltage conversion.
(SolarEdge)

Ah that makes sense, I think Solar Edge has a single operating voltage concept. It can force a common operating voltage for both sides of the string, and the optimizers will be configured appropriately to avoid current blocking and to add up to that value. So it’s fairly easy for them to just parallel both strings together in a way that optimizes also for avoiding bottleneck in the inverter itself. EG clipping on the 16.5A input current

installed in mid september and highest should be in July that was not there.
Based on my understanding of SE architecture two vs one are going to be pretty similar.

Since your AC maximum is 10K you will clip in the summer, I can see that since your peak in September is 9K

Only way to avoid this is to add a second inverter (moving half of string to that) or a bigger one ? You will need to do a cost benefit analysis and also determine if that interconnect size is allowed by your POCO

Since your AC maximum is 10K you will clip in the summer, I can see that since your peak in September is 9K

SE10K solaredge inverter and 30
Longi LR5-54HPH-420M
pannels with optimizers facing 3 directions (all on a single string)

Probably no clipping. 420W x 30 = 12600W (STC), actual output (PTC) or (NOCT) close to 10kW.
Multiple orientations, lower peak power, probably never exceeds inverter wattage.

Seems like a good maximize installation.
Possible two parallel strings, less voltage conversion, would have marginally higher efficiency. Bit more wiring cost. What was done is probably a good trade-off.

30 panels x 37.75V = 1132.5V

Or is Solaredge system designed to handle that?

Yes, it is. The module level power electronics reduce max output per panel that is seen by string.
I forget the exact maximum number allowed in series, but panels that would have way exceeded Voc limit can be used this way.

A good idea to simplify system design and installation (same goes for Enphase microinverters.) Main issue is reliability of electronics, especially in that environment, and how accessible they are for replacement. System keeps working when some fail, so repair can be deferred and several done at once. There have been higher failure rates for both approaches, I hear Enphase improved with new models, don't know with Solar Edge. Possibly the issues were environment specific. Both companies have a lot of traction with installers (for reason above), but I've heard of installers dropping SolarEdge.

Probably no clipping. 420W x 30 = 12600W (STC), actual output (PTC) or (NOCT) close to 10kW.
Multiple orientations, lower peak power, probably never exceeds inverter wattage.
It’s at 9kW-AC in September mid day. Wouldn’t there be clipping in the summer? I guess it depends on orientation.

I don’t think it’s worth pre emptively upsizing the system. After another 9 months of data OP can look at the graphs again and guesstimate the clipping amount.

Based on my understanding of SE architecture two vs one are going to be pretty similar.

Only way to avoid this is to add a second inverter (moving half of string to that) or a bigger one ? You will need to do a cost benefit analysis and also determine if that interconnect size is allowed by your POCO
whag dobuou mean
It’s at 9kW-AC in September mid day. Wouldn’t there be clipping in the summer? I guess it depends on orientation.
what do you mean by clip in in summer? our electricity authority dont allow to use imverters more than 10kw so i cant use bigger. only you add extra panels to get you maximum (this is what installers explained). so they added 6 more panels to increase my production..will it cause any issue to the inverter on the summer (break the inverter)?
I don’t think it’s worth pre emptively upsizing the system. After another 9 months of data OP can look at the graphs again and guesstimate the clipping amount.

whag dobuou mean

Never mind. I mean do financial modeling based on performance you see, to see if it's worth adding an inverter. But you're limited to 10kW by your authority so it's not worth talking about.

what do you mean by clip in in summer? our electricity authority dont allow to use imverters more than 10kw so i cant use bigger. only you add extra panels to get you maximum (this is what installers explained). so they added 6 more panels to increase my production..will it cause any issue to the inverter on the summer (break the inverter)?

Clip means hit 10kW output and stop there, despite being able to go higher.

Yes adding more panels will increase the production.

30 * 420W is below the 13.5kW maximum input on the datasheet for your inverter. So it is fine. I vaguely remember seeing a SolarEdge document about the maximum series number allowed on a string for a 3-Phase, 900V max unit. I don't remember if 30 is below the limit. Probably.

Your panels face 3 different directions. So over paneling makes sense. Clipping could be a limiting factor because you’ll have more production in the summer than September as you had 9K then. your inverter will only produce 10k.

Your panels face 3 different directions. So over paneling makes sense. Clipping could be a limiting factor because you’ll have more production in the summer than September as you had 9K then. your inverter will only produce 10k.
I actually think 3 different directions with 10kW-AC unit maxing out the power authority's limit is an indication of a good design. (hopefully it wasn't accidental)

Back