diy solar

diy solar

Having trouble top balancing with a lab DC charger

ZeeMox

I've got 8 280ah eve cells connected in parallel. They all came at 3.27volts, so after getting them connected I hooked them up to a 10amp lab DC charger set to 3.65. Important to note that I was only getting 10 watts initially and it's been hovering around 30 watts ever since I crimped some 8ga cables on. It took them maybe three days to get to 3.31 (resting), and now roughly 5 days of charging (not non-stop, as I'm off grid and have to charge them when i am able) later, it's still reading 3.31 at rest. I've read that the voltage can sometimes appear stuck around 3.35 for a while when it is in fact charging fine, but the results I'm getting appear to be significantly slower than what is typical given a total charge time of around 8 days with no end on sight.

I disconnected all the cells and measured them individually and got the following:

So currently I'm charging the one that was still at 3.28 individually to see if bringing it closer to parity with the other cells will improve the situation. But is it normal for that cell to have fallen so far out of balance? They were disconnected from charge for about a day before this reading. Currently the one low cell is charging at a nice round 36 watts.

Any insights? Do I just need more patience?

Did you short the positive and negative wires together to set the current charge to the full 10a? If you read your power supply manual you have to do that for the constant current setting.

If you have a suitable charger build the battery with series cells and BMS. Charge with voltage equivalent of 3.45volts per cell.
If the cells become imbalanced bleed current from the high cell or charge up the low cell.
No need to put the cells in parallel and reduced the possiility of cell damage.

Mike

Did you short the positive and negative wires together to set the current charge to the full 10a? If you read your power supply manual you have to do that for the constant current setting.
I missed that detail, thanks, making sure that's done from here on.

Back