diy solar

diy solar

Heated LiFePO4 as starter battery

mvonw

Solar Addict
After two full, cold winters (heading into a third) my renogy heated 12v battery has been working like a champ as starter for my Honda 7000is generator. Previous to this, the starter battery on the generator would drain and not recharge when the generator ran. Now I have a 100 watt panel connected to a small victron controller that keeps the renogy battery topped off. The battery issues are more significant where I am because it’s gets really cold where I am.

I have never not had the generator start even in the coldest (-30F) weather.

Conventional internet wisdom says LiFePO4 batts can be used as starter batteries, but for this application it is perfect, so I hope that helps someone else.

I have never not had the generator start even in the coldest (-30F) weather.
Good to know!

I remove batteries for winter or use a solar trickle charger. I keep my Champion genny on the solarium porch so it stays warmer and it is pull start and will start on a few pulls as long as it is warm but once it is cold you will kill yourself trying to start it.

Li-Ion batteries, including LFP, internal impedance goes up quite a bit at colder temps.

No load, or little load, there is not too much Li-Ion battery voltage change at colder temps.

One solution not requiring heating battery is to use stud connector supercaps to provide the starting peak current and use the li-ion battery to keep the supercaps charged. You need to include a balancer on the supercaps to keep the series stack balanced.

Good to know!

I remove batteries for winter or use a solar trickle charger. I keep my Champion genny on the solarium porch so it stays warmer and it is pull start and will start on a few pulls as long as it is warm but once it is cold you will kill yourself trying to start it.
I tried this for years, but the starter batteries would stop taking charge or just not have enough amps to turn the engine over in really cold weather. Low viscosity oil helps a lot too...

I tried this for years, but the starter batteries would stop taking charge or just not have enough amps to turn the engine over in really cold weather. Low viscosity oil helps a lot too...
Sounds like my gas riding tractor. I stopped buying batts and just jump start the damn thing when I need it.

Sounds like my gas riding tractor. I stopped buying batts and just jump start the damn thing when I need it.
try doing that with a 100hp Kubota when the fuel is gelled and the battery is a block of ice, and the oil is a solid mass....

Back