diy solar

diy solar

Heated SOK batteries in series

NikR

I am putting together a kit for a really cold climate (northern Quebec, down to -40 C and below).

I am planning to build a box of 4 inches of foam board, and use heated SOK 100 Ah batteries, 2 in series for 24V. The manual of these batteries states that they can only be put in parallel, which makes sense, because it would charge the warmer battery, while the colder might still be heating.

However, would it be possible to use a battery balancer like this to bring the two back to the same SOC? Even though it is not made for LFP batteries?

EDIT: Before I didn't RTFM well, question has changed.

Last edited:
Make sure you fully charge each battery to 14.4V individually and in parallel - holding 14.4V for two hours - prior to wiring in series.

Ideally, the heaters should only take power available from the charge source, i.e., it diverts incoming current from the battery to the heater. I don't know if these always work that way.

The balancer you linked is a good idea. Search for "HC01" for a version that has voltage displays.

the batteries don’t necessarily both start heating at the same time, so if they are in series, you may have one battery charging while the other is heating. For this reason, I suggest either don’t put them in series or use a balancer that can handle at least 6 amps.
the heaters should only take power available from the charge source

the batteries don’t necessarily both start heating at the same time, so if they are in series, you may have one battery charging while the other is heating. For this reason, I suggest either don’t put them in series or use a balancer that can handle at least 6 amps.
better yet make a self heating system the ignores the batteries themselves... there comes a time in space where you need to take the steps yourself. one battery bank shut off charging for everything. so check some of the threads to see how to do it, they are plentiful.

in each case the individual battery can and will shut off charging for the next in line meaning none of them will heat if one cannot. make your own.

Last edited:
Back