diy solar

diy solar

Help connecting battery monitor to SolarAssistant

mmm33732

I've been having some issues connecting my battery monitor to an orange pi for solar assistant. The battery monitor I have uses a RS485 connection. On the monitor, the connection is a little smaller than a phone jack. (not sure what that's called) I was able to grind down a phone jack to fit and all the pins seem to connect fine. I've connected that to this
611hyMHpIOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8DWLT1V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
to convert it to USB for the orange pi/solar assistant. It shows transmit and receive flashing at the expected times, so I believe it's connected fine. Now the issue is when in solar assistant.. I have tried every battery option listed (see pic)
Untitled.png

and none of them can connect. (aside from inverter values and emulated bms of course) The either say invalid response or no response. I have also tried reversing the A and B connections. This is the battery monitor I'm using:
81iaCnQd64L._SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2H9FB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts or help?

I've been having some issues connecting my battery monitor to an orange pi for solar assistant. The battery monitor I have uses a RS485 connection. On the monitor, the connection is a little smaller than a phone jack. (not sure what that's called) I was able to grind down a phone jack to fit and all the pins seem to connect fine. I've connected that to this
View attachment 182096
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8DWLT1V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
to convert it to USB for the orange pi/solar assistant. It shows transmit and receive flashing at the expected times, so I believe it's connected fine. Now the issue is when in solar assistant.. I have tried every battery option listed (see pic)
View attachment 182095

and none of them can connect. (aside from inverter values and emulated bms of course) The either say invalid response or no response. I have also tried reversing the A and B connections. This is the battery monitor I'm using:
View attachment 182097
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2H9FB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts or help?
Have you tried bypassing the monitor device and connecting directly to the batteries? The monitor may not work with SA.

I can only use inverter values too, because inverters are connected to SA USB. What other options are there. I don't want to use micro usb

I can only use inverter values too, because inverters are connected to SA USB. What other options are there. I don't want to use micro usb
Same Question.. Using "inverter values" is ok but there is not battery temp info passed through the Voltronic it seems.

How do people connect both the inverter and the battery stack to the SA unit

Reactions: Rho
You use 1 RS485 to USB connection to the inverter and the other RS485 to USB connection to the battery bank connected to the raspberry Pi.
In SA you select them under each section of the settings.
Those Junktec shunts are not supported yet.

You use 1 RS485 to USB connection to the inverter and the other RS485 to USB connection to the battery bank connected to the raspberry Pi.
In SA you select them under each section of the settings.
Those Junktec shunts are not supported yet.
I run a stack of Ruixu and there are only 2 RJ45 ports.

The master pack has the main connection to the AIO and the second port goes to the bank of slaves.

If I use the connection on the last pack I only get information from that unit.. Not the others in the stack. I assume some type of splitter is needed to communicate from one master battery to the AIO and SA from a single port jut have not seen any mention of that on the SA info pages.

Also, I tried all the battery types in SA and the Ruixu didn't seem to work with any in my quick testing.

The master Ruixu should be able to aggregate the data from the other batteries and present it to solar assistant.
Do you happen to know what BMS those batteries use and is there some software that they provide that will monitor them ?

I am using the master connection to communicate with the inverter so no ports left to connect to SA, but would like the batt temps if possible.

There is battery monitoring software, not sure what BMS.. It might be developed by Topband themselves.. It communicates via LI-b with the Voltronic but can do CAN-BUS as well..

Back