diy solar

diy solar

Help me choose SCC

Maitake

Solar Enthusiast
My main array feeds an AC coupled/grid tie system with SMA inverters and a 48v battery. It turns out I have 2 extra panels in the array due to cold weather overvoltage limits.
I would like to add a SCC to utilize these 2 panels, and also assist If I get into a black start problem.

2 X 415W canadian solar bifacials.
VOC 45
VMP 36.7
ISC 13
Victron 150/35 looks like a contender, any other high quality options I should be considering?
Thinking I will set it to float at 3.45v, is this a good idea?

Using a REC bms to control the main chargers, not sure that makes any difference.
Thx

My main array feeds an AC coupled/grid tie system with SMA inverters and a 48v battery. It turns out I have 2 extra panels in the array due to cold weather overvoltage limits.
I would like to add a SCC to utilize these 2 panels, and also assist If I get into a black start problem.

2 X 415W canadian solar bifacials.
VOC 45
VMP 36.7
ISC 13
Victron 150/35 looks like a contender, any other high quality options I should be considering?
Thinking I will set it to float at 3.45v, is this a good idea?

Using a REC bms to control the main chargers, not sure that makes any difference.
Thx

3.40/cell is more typical for float. If you need some extra balancing for your cells, 3.45.

Victron does not have arc fault protection, so not an option....
With arc fault SCC's running $700-1k, might not be worth hooking these panels up.
Any other ideas?

Does his local code care about arc fault?

With that said how large is the current array how much are you missing out by not including these two panels? I enjoy Victron stuff, and that unit would be great if you had a few more panels to toss at it to utilize its capacity.

Maybe keep these two panels as spares?

Back