diy solar

diy solar

Help me connect panels please

ddaky

Hello...i need help to cennect my panels best way possible...i have 12 panels 50v voc
Is it possible to connect them in parallel 6 panels on one side 6 on other...also my inverter is 500voc max so thats main reson why i want to connect it this way

In general, with 50.0v Voc panels and 500v max on the inverter, I wouldn't put more than 9 panels, and maybe even 8.

Post the model of your panels.
Post the model of your Inverter. If separate charge controller, post the model on that.

Also, will the panels all be oriented the same way? Shading issues?
What is the coldest it has been in your area over the past 100 years.
Voc is calculated around room temperature. Voc increases as it gets colder. Hence the margin.

In general, with 50.0v Voc panels and 500v max on the inverter, I wouldn't put more than 9 panels, and maybe even 8.

Post the model of your panels.
Post the model of your Inverter. If separate charge controller, post the model on that.

Also, will the panels all be oriented the same way? Shading issues?
What is the coldest it has been in your area over the past 100 years.
Voc is calculated around room temperature. Voc increases as it gets colder. Hence the margin.
This is the photo of panels
And Inverter...one part of panels would be on one side of roof and other on different thats why i try to maximise solar production

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-05-22-02-49-701_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-05-22-02-49-701_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-57-39-552_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-57-39-552_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello...i need help to cennect my panels best way possible...i have 12 panels 50v voc
Is it possible to connect them in parallel 6 panels on one side 6 on other...also my inverter is 500voc max so thats main reson why i want to connect it this way
I don't see anything wrong with that plan as far as voltage goes. You'd be well under your VoC limit and probably pretty close to the optimal operating voltage under load.

This is the photo of panels
And Inverter...one part of panels would be on one side of roof and other on different thats why i try to maximise solar production
Doesn't give the change in Voc per degree C (temperature coefficient). You also didn't say how cold it gets where the panels are.

Without further information, 8 panels in a series on one string would be ok. That is 400Voc without temperature compensation. Assuming -.5%/C, and -20C, that would be 508V, which is just over your 500v max. So, hopefully it doesn't get to -13c, or your temp coefficient is less than -0.5%/C

Each roof orientation should get a different MPPT controller. I don't think you should combine two strings of 6, since they are different.

Doesn't give the change in Voc per degree C (temperature coefficient). You also didn't say how cold it gets where the panels are.

Without further information, 8 panels in a series on one string would be ok. That is 400Voc without temperature compensation. Assuming -.5%/C, and -20C, that would be 508V, which is just over your 500v max. So, hopefully it doesn't get to -13c, or your temp coefficient is less than -0.5%/C

Each roof orientation should get a different MPPT controller. I don't think you should combine two strings of 6, since they are different.
Not sure what you mean by "they are different". Sounds like he has 12 identical panels. The only difference would be that each set of six would be on a different side of the roof. With each set of 6 in series, and the 2 series strings in parallel, the side not getting as much sun should just produce less, but not reduce the output of the set producing more... I don't see the problem you are referring to.

I'm not bringing up temperature adjusted VoC only because in the scenario of only having 6 in series, his total VoC is so far below his 500V limit that it's not going to be close regardless of temperature.

I'm with you, though, that I like to run higher voltage series strings in general. However, his proposed configuration is probably the best way to be able to utilize all 12 of his panels with the single charge controller he's working with.

Not sure what you mean by "they are different". Sounds like he has 12 identical panels. The only difference would be that each set of six would be on a different side of the roof. With each set of 6 in series, and the 2 series strings in parallel, the side not getting as much sun should just produce less, but not reduce the output of the set producing more... I don't see the problem you are referring to.

I'm not bringing up temperature adjusted VoC only because in the scenario of only having 6 in series, his total VoC is so far below his 500V limit that it's not going to be close regardless of temperature.

I'm with you, though, that I like to run higher voltage series strings in general. However, his proposed configuration is probably the best way to be able to utilize all 12 of his panels with the single charge controller he's working with.
So its possible to connect the way i want to on this inverter?
In future i will buy mppt for one of the strings
Maybe you have recommendations for one that is not too expensive

Not sure what you mean by "they are different". Sounds like he has 12 identical panels. The only difference would be that each set of six would be on a different side of the roof.
The mppt is designed to vary the voltage to maximize watts of the string. Different orientations may optimize to different voltages. Loss when paralleling strings may or may not be material.

Back