diy solar

diy solar

HELP!! My electricals went HAYWIRE yesterday and no clue what I did or how to troubleshoot

Checking for positive power on the switched side of the switch.
See my edit as well please.

What do I do if there is/isn't power on the switched side? As in what is the remedy? As I said though the behaviour has stopped since switching the switches around so I would not expect to see power any more? They are just stuck in reverse mode.

To check power on the switch side I would put the meter on the load side when it is switched off?

It would of course help to have at least a diagram of the concept of course.

Assuming that it is:
- 12 volt Li battery pack
- on / off switch on main power
- Fuse block to feed 12 volt around
- On / off switches
- Weird things associated with the lighting

Do you by chance have a dimmer in the circuit for the LED lighting? Those things will mess up a lot of circuits and can be noisy.

Try cutting off the solar charging and see if this simplifies what is happening.

I know it might seem odd, but wires can break inside of cables and be intermittent.

Do you have really good crimped terminals on the wires or are they something else? It is really easy to get an imperfect crimp unless you own good tools.

It would of course help to have at least a diagram of the concept of course.

Assuming that it is:
- 12 volt Li battery pack
- on / off switch on main power
- Fuse block to feed 12 volt around
- On / off switches
- Weird things associated with the lighting

Do you by chance have a dimmer in the circuit for the LED lighting? Those things will mess up a lot of circuits and can be noisy.

Try cutting off the solar charging and see if this simplifies what is happening.

I know it might seem odd, but wires can break inside of cables and be intermittent.

Do you have really good crimped terminals on the wires or are they something else? It is really easy to get an imperfect crimp unless you own good tools.
Yes that looks like you covered it.

So the fuse block goes into the battery switch. Something else does as well but I forgot what now! I guess it must be the mppt + into the battery switch load side as well as that is the only other large cable supply.

The on off switches are from the fuse block to a couple of led lights and also a fan, each individual switches for each load.

Btw when working on the system should I switch off the solar isolator as well as the battery or is the battery switch enough? I thought that you only had to turn off solar panel isolators if you wanted to work on the panel side though maybe I am wrong on that. Perhaps it could have fed electricity through somehow to cause this strangeness since I know I didn't switch it off that day and it was light out.

Yes that looks like you covered it.

So the fuse block goes into the battery switch. Something else does as well but I forgot what now! I guess it must be the mppt + into the battery switch load side as well as that is the only other large cable supply.

The on off switches are from the fuse block to a couple of led lights and also a fan, each individual switches for each load.

Btw when working on the system should I switch off the solar isolator as well as the battery or is the battery switch enough? I thought that you only had to turn off solar panel isolators if you wanted to work on the panel side though maybe I am wrong on that. Perhaps it could have fed electricity through somehow to cause this strangeness since I know I didn't switch it off that day and it was light out.
If the pv was producing power even with the batteries being disconnected you will still have a live circuit

It is important to understand the entire circuit. If you have two sources of power each must be allowed for when it comes to the direction of current flow.

Back