diy solar

diy solar

Help Troubleshoot: BMS, Inverter, or Charge Controller?

jmcox6

I have a BB 100ah in my sprinter. The other day we had an event that has since caused some issues. This system has been used for over a year, with little to no issue, and the same system design in our prior van. So I am struggling to troubleshoot, and I am hoping your all's expertise can help.

Inverter/charger (2000w) was being ran running induction cook top, and it seemed to trigger the BMS. Typically if over voltage occurs that would result in a few second pause before coming back on (like BB have outlined). However, this time it never came back on.

One idea is that the capacitors in the inverter were trying to fill back up after the shutdown, putting the battery in perpetual protection mode? Is this possible?

Once we returned home I pulled out the battery, checked voltage and it seemed fine. Charged up to be sure.

With the battery removed I noticed a pulsing of power going through the system, presumably from the dcdc/mppt unit. I disconnected the solar lead, and seemed to stop the pulsing. No idea, what is going on here? Ever heard of this before? (Renogy 50a dcdc/mppt unit)

Current Status: battery is back in the system, no inverter hooked up, dc system is working. BUT, if I am running something off the house system, and driving when I stop and shutoff the van engine, the whole system cuts out for a minute before returning to normal operation. There is no reason within the system for this to happen, nor has it ever happened before. It seems like the BMS is triggering again. Could it be misreading the charge signal and causing a shut down when it is lost? Or would the culprit be the dcdc/mppt unit?

Any help is much appreciated

50 amps is a lot to hit a battery with and I suspect it is the dcdc charger?

If the battery charges fine off the solar I would check your charger settings and test that output.

I have a BB 100ah in my sprinter
Sounds a little small ,100Ah for a 2000watt invereter . However if the system has been running successfully you may have a problem.
There have been issues with Battleborn batteries where the battery terminals have become loose within the battery.

Back