diy solar

diy solar

Help Needed. Am I correct?

Soggy Man

After waiting two weeks for an electrician to show up I have tried to get as far as I can myself. I do not know much about this and just can't wrap my head around it....but I think I'm close. This is going in a van I'm working on. Four 100ah lithiums ,40 amp dcdc charger, 2000w inverter. 100 amp sub panel (44 actual amps in panel) Main panel that's a/c d/c D/c side is 150amp (82 actual amps) a/c side is 110v to 3 outlets. Solar is coming later. It will be 200-400 watts. Should I have a positive buss bar for the fuses? Please take a look at my drawing...best I could do, and let me know if anything is inccorect. I have some questions on a couple things I'm unsure on (the grounds) but that will come later. Thanks for looking.

electric plan.jpg

The 32 amp breaker between the PV and the solar charge controller is too high. Even if you put panels in parallel to get to 400 watts it's probably still too high.

A fuse on the input side of the DC-DC charger is needed. 4 awg into the DC-DC charger may not be large enough, but it depends on the distance.

The better way to wire your batteries into your system is to use a bus bar and run equal length cables from each battery to the bus bar. 2/0 from the bus bar to the inverter. Battery to the bus bar could be smaller wire. From your diagram it looks like your batteries are in parallel, not series.

A Class T fuse between the batteries and the bus bar is recommended.

A positive bus bar will make your wiring easier.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 60 and 100 amp breakers to the upper left of the fuse block.

Thanks for the input
The 32 amp breaker between the PV and the solar charge controller is too high. Even if you put panels in parallel to get to 400 watts it's probably still too high.

A fuse on the input side of the DC-DC charger is needed. 4 awg into the DC-DC charger may not be large enough, but it depends on the distance.

The better way to wire your batteries into your system is to use a bus bar and run equal length cables from each battery to the bus bar. 2/0 from the bus bar to the inverter. Battery to the bus bar could be smaller wire. From your diagram it looks like your batteries are in parallel, not series.

A Class T fuse between the batteries and the bus bar is recommended.

A positive bus bar will make your wiring easier.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 60 and 100 amp breakers to the upper left of the

The solar breaker can be changed...but to what size?

There is a 60amp fuse in the van supplied by Ford. The dcdc connects to the starter battery at the drivers seat which has the 60 amp fuse on it. The run to the dcdc is about 6.5 feet.

The batteries are in parallel. I do plan to have a 300amp fuse between the batteries and the main switch.

I am going to add a positive bus which will feed the three breakers.

The 60 and 100 amp breakers are for the two 12v fuse blocks. One on the right side (60amp) and one on the left side (100amp).

Back