diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV + Tigo MLPE compatibility and features - check my analysis

mciholas

Solar Enthusiast
Hello, doing a paper exercise to figure out what the compatibility is between EG4 18KPV and Tigo MLPE modules. See if I got this right:

A. Rapid shutdown only

18KPV (of recent production) has the SunSpec RSS signal built in that will trigger with RSD button (either side of unit or external). Tigo TC4-A-F or TS4-A-2F will shutdown based on the absence of this signal. This provides no monitoring or optimization but requires no additional wires or other items at/from the inverter. If the RSD external button is mounted externally at the service entrance, this complies with 2020 code. With this system you should not need an external manual disconnect for the PV lines.

Cost is $30 per panel (TS4-A-F) or $23 per panel (TS4-A-2F, dual unit). Wiring is only at the panel, no inverter side changes (assuming external RSD button already exists).

B. Monitoring

The TS4-A-M provides monitoring (power output). It requires a Tigo CCA interface and at least one Tigo TAP transmitter to work. With monitoring, you can integrate that into the EG4 app to see what each panel is doing. This setup does NOT provide the code compliance for rapid shutdown, so some sort of manual PV disconnect would be required (and within 1 ft of panels per the new code?). Seems awkward.

Cost is unknown since it seems no one I found sells the TS4-A-M. Perhaps obsolete due to code requirements and/or lack of market for such a device.

C. Monitoring and rapid shutdown

Same as B but using TS4-A-S. Rapid shutdown is done by the CCA being powered by the inverter is just the right way to stop the keep alive signal but not also cause a dark start problem. This setup would comply with code requirements without an external manual PV disconnect.

Cost is $37 per panel (TS4-A-S), $139 for the CCA, $58 for the TAP (if you only need one). You also have extra wires to run (in a separate conduit?).

D. Monitoring, optimization, and rapid shutdown

Same as C but using TS4-A-O.

Cost is $44 per panel (TS4-A-O), $139 for the CCA, $58 for the TAP (if you only need one). You also have extra wires to run (in a separate conduit?).

My assessment is that if I want the simplest wiring and lowest cost, the TS4-A-2F modules do that with very little effort. I will lack monitoring and optimization. My proposed install has essentially no shading, so I m uncertain if monitoring and optimization are worth the extra effort.

If I want to go to the next level, might as well go to full optimization. The cost difference is only $7 per panel. Then I get per panel monitoring and optimization.

Check my work!

Mike C.

Hello, doing a paper exercise to figure out what the compatibility is between EG4 18KPV and Tigo MLPE modules. See if I got this right:

A. Rapid shutdown only

18KPV (of recent production) has the SunSpec RSS signal built in that will trigger with RSD button (either side of unit or external). Tigo TC4-A-F or TS4-A-2F will shutdown based on the absence of this signal. This provides no monitoring or optimization but requires no additional wires or other items at/from the inverter. If the RSD external button is mounted externally at the service entrance, this complies with 2020 code. With this system you should not need an external manual disconnect for the PV lines.

Cost is $30 per panel (TS4-A-F) or $23 per panel (TS4-A-2F, dual unit). Wiring is only at the panel, no inverter side changes (assuming external RSD button already exists).

B. Monitoring

The TS4-A-M provides monitoring (power output). It requires a Tigo CCA interface and at least one Tigo TAP transmitter to work. With monitoring, you can integrate that into the EG4 app to see what each panel is doing. This setup does NOT provide the code compliance for rapid shutdown, so some sort of manual PV disconnect would be required (and within 1 ft of panels per the new code?). Seems awkward.

Cost is unknown since it seems no one I found sells the TS4-A-M. Perhaps obsolete due to code requirements and/or lack of market for such a device.

Same as B but using TS4-A-S. Rapid shutdown is done by the CCA being powered by the inverter is just the right way to stop the keep alive signal but not also cause a dark start problem. This setup would comply with code requirements without an external manual PV disconnect.

Cost is $37 per panel (TS4-A-S), $139 for the CCA, $58 for the TAP (if you only need one). You also have extra wires to run (in a separate conduit?).

Cost is $44 per panel (TS4-A-O), $139 for the CCA, $58 for the TAP (if you only need one). You also have extra wires to run (in a separate conduit?).

My assessment is that if I want the simplest wiring and lowest cost, the TS4-A-2F modules do that with very little effort. I will lack monitoring and optimization. My proposed install has essentially no shading, so I m uncertain if monitoring and optimization are worth the extra effort.

If I want to go to the next level, might as well go to full optimization. The cost difference is only $7 per panel. Then I get per panel monitoring and optimization.

Check my work!

Mike C.
I don't know the specifics on how the 18kPV works with the sunspec RSS signal. I'm using the TS4-A-O modules with the TAP and CCA with my 6000xp. While most consider the monitoring a nice-to-have, it does have practical uses, such as in my case it helped me to identify a problematic panel that was bringing down the production of the string. I did want to answer the question re: needing to run the wires to the TAP in separate conduit. My understanding is that it can be in the same conduit with the PV wires as long as all the wire is rated for the same voltage. To that end I searched a good while to find small gauge wire with a 600V rating and ended up finding this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTHHGLFY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. I couldn't find anything but the red and black colors so I just had to tape some of the strand ends to differentiate between the 2 for power and the 2 for signal.

A. Rapid shutdown only

B. Monitoring

Check my work!

Mike C.
Hey I’m going through the same excercise and you did the work for me so thanks! However I think your math is wrong since going full blown optimizers isn’t just seven dollars more per panel if you are it ends up being $21 per panel plus you have to buy CCA and tap. Anyways, it’s been a while since you have posted, so did you make a decision?

The assessments are correct but some of the math wasn't so great.
I ended up going with the A2F modules and built in RSD because I don't need any monitoring or optimization.

Back