diy solar

diy solar

Help please - hybrid inverter question

chrisw5

I am narrowing down my choices on a revamped solar power system.

My goals are to grid zero/reduce monthly power bill and also have a battery backup for when power goes out. Our grid power the last few years has been pretty unreliable and goes out more often that it used to. Only looking to power a few essential loads during outages (2 freezers, 1 fridge at min). Selling back to grid is not an option and have no interest in getting agreements with Duke Energy.

I already have 3.6 kW of solar panels (string of 1.2kW, and new string of 2.4 kW) and a 10.2kWh LiFePO4 battery bank.

Have been eyeing the Sol-Ark 5k heavily. Would the Outback Skybox meet the same needs? It seems to be less costly. Any other options out there?

GTIL2 is a grid tie inverter that can be powered by batteries and or solar. They use CT clamps like skybox and Solark. Schneider can also do grid zero with external CTs. If using GTIL2s you would need an additional small offgrid inverter to power those essential loads.
Some inverters do gridzero but with internal CTs which means all the homes loads have to go through the inverter and therefore the amount of possible loads the home uses is limited by the pass through capability of the inverter

Back