diy solar

diy solar

Help solar commercial build.

Jord445

I’m looking to use solar to power a battery charger that requires 415v 20KW.

The battery charger is used to charge batteries that are 80V 404ah.

Or should I be looking at charging the batteries seperate and not using solar to power the battery charger appliance.

I will need a 3 phase inverter.

Some overall advice would be great as I have found myself in a bit of a hole right now.

Or should I be looking at charging the batteries seperate and not using solar to power the battery charger appliance.

Some overall advice would be great as I have found myself in a bit of a hole right now.
A lot of DC to AC to DC again.
Losses would be interesting.

Is there no way to use, find or build a specific charge controller to go from panels to the batteries and skip the conversion or do you need the power for something other than charging?

Are those batteries 80v nominal or fully charged?

A lot of DC to AC to DC again.
Losses would be interesting.

Is there no way to use, find or build a specific charge controller to go from panels to the batteries and skip the conversion or do you need the power for something other than charging?

Are those batteries 80v nominal or fully charged?
Nominal voltage 77.28v

Only to charge the specific batteries that is all
IMHO Unless your grid rates are just absolutely terrible or you just have money to burn it will be cheaper for you just to use the charger from the wall to charge the batteries.

Each battery is like 30kwH 80v 404ah.

Not saying you couldn’t do it but it isn’t going to be cheap and that’s if you do it yourself.

If you are absolutely stuck on this you can try to get, find build a Charge controller to go directly from the panels to the batteries to avoid the conversion losses and the expense since you don’t need the power for anything else.

Does the site have grid power?

Some overall advice would be great as I have found myself in a bit of a hole right
If I understand you correct, you have the charger, and you want to power it from solar?
Do you have the solar system now?
Is the 3ph charger a smart charger? Does it talk to the batteries BMS? Or is it dumb, as it just supplies power, tell us the name if you don't know.
You said you have mains power, so you could power most 3 phase devices like your 3 phase battery charger using a VFD Variable Frequency Drive controller, which converts Single Phase to multiphase.
But there might be a cheaper way, like charging your batteries directly from solar by using either a boost (up) or buck (down) MTTP charge controller which are meant for EVs like ebikes E/motorcycles, E/outboard's etc, which will charge your batteries. I use one.
Or buy a normal single phase charger, either a lower powered one for ebikes etc, or a more powerful EV E/motorcycles charger.
What we need to know is the type of battery you have, what chemistry, and spec's.

Back