diy solar

diy solar

Help to connect one inverter to electrical panel using breakers

so if I am understanding you I can use the same genset connection point using the 120 from the inverter instead of the gen set and possibly move some breakers to the powered leg since only one side of the panel would be connected?

so if I am understanding you I can use the same genset connection point using the 120 from the inverter instead of the gen set and possibly move some breakers to the powered leg since only one side of the panel would be connected?
Do you have a socket like this?
1649703442782.png

The four contacts are L1, L2, Neutral, Ground....not specifically in that order. You can take the hot from your 120v inverter to either L1 or L2 (of your socket) and your inverter white/neutral to your socket neutral, and ground to ground.

If you are safe and competent.....I would turn off my main in my breaker box, turn off all breakers, remove the cover. Then I would power the inverter and on my inverter feed in breaker (still off) check voltage on the breaker's wire and the panel neutral. If all good, 120v, I would turn on the inverter breaker and determine which side of the box is being energized by the inverter. Next, I would turn the inverter off, turn its breaker off, make sure everything is off, and move any critical breakers to the side that will be energized by the inverter.

NOTE, unless you pull your meter, your main lugs that feed the main breaker will still be hot AND exposed. As much as possible, it is wise to work with only one hand and avoid being grounded if there is any change of touching something that is energized.

Thank you so much for your detailed information
What you are saying makes complete sense to me

The manual transfer switch and an additional 30amp RV connection is what I've been considering. I'll have a small 1500w 12v inverter but it will only be powering some LED light circuits, a couple of small fans, and a small 20" LED television. The light circuits I intend to run 100% of the time, whereas the television and fan circuits would be for power-outage use if needed. I'm hoping to use the light circuits constantly so as to keep the solar power system active and help keep the batteries "exercised'. In times of power outage I have a propane generator that will replace the inverter for running the refrigerators, washing machine, battery-charging, etc., for a few hours each day. Glad to see this thread and will be watching it. (y)

My house doesn't have any multi wire branch circuits in it, so instead of moving critical breakers to one leg (so they can be powered by my 120V iGen4500 inverter generator), I made my own generator cord that ended with a connector like below. In the connector, I used a wire to jumper L1 (where the "line" coming from the 120V generator connects) to L2. This lets the 120V generator power both legs of the panel. Well, 120V circuits anyway ... 220V circuits must be turned off, which I do before I flip the interlock safety switch to disconnect the mains and allows the generator input breaker to be flipped on (when ready).

1649782889057.png

This solution has worked well since installed 5 years ago, but it's been somewhat of a pain to wheel out the generator for power outages that almost always turn out to be under an hour. [knock on wood]

I've recently installed a DIY 280AH 12V battery + 1000W inverter in a small teardrop camper that's stored in my garage, not far from the breaker box. I'd love to be able to use that battery/inverter to automatically keep power going to a few select circuits when the power goes out. That's my next project!

I'm going to use my existing interlock and box that I use for my Generator for my inverter

I'm going to use my existing interlock and box that I use for my Generator for my inverter
Maybe I missed it, is your inverter split phase?
Based on your description of the inlet your generator is split phase.

No but If my extension cord at 120 only connects to one side of the panel I will move any important breakers to that side. When I connect my black positive to the inlet box it will only cover one side at 120 volts, no 240
My gen is set up at 50 amp 240 on a breaker that takes one red for one side and one black for one side. Together 240 seperated 120

No but If my extension cord at 120 only connects to one side of the panel I will move any important breakers to that side. When I connect my black positive to the inlet box it will only cover one side at 120 volts, no 240
Breakers are staggered between the phases to minimize current on the neutral.
You should keep that in mind if your are moving your breakers between phases.

Worse casae is I will set up a different inlet box and use one new 120 breaker to attach it to and if needed I'll jump to another new breaker on the oppisite side. your thoughts

Worse casae is I will set up a different inlet box and use one new 120 breaker to attach it to and if needed I'll jump to another new breaker on the oppisite side. your thoughts
I don't understand what you are intend to do.

I have a 50 amp box for my generator already with a 50 amp dedicated breaker to turn on after turning off the main breaker (Interlock system)
I can eithe use a 120 volt 30 amp extension and connect to one leg using the same setup or install a new box with a 120 30 amp plug connected to a 120 30 amp breaker and then jump it to another new breaker on the other leg to supply 120 to both legs
Make sense?

I have a 50 amp box for my generator already with a 50 amp dedicated breaker to turn on after turning off the main breaker (Interlock system)
I can eithe use a 120 volt 30 amp extension and connect to one leg using the same setup or install a new box with a 120 30 amp plug connected to a 120 30 amp breaker and then jump it to another new breaker on the other leg to supply 120 to both legs
Make sense?
At this moment no.
I'll look at this again tomorrow.

Back