diy solar

diy solar

Help to connect one inverter to electrical panel using breakers

I have a 50 amp box for my generator already with a 50 amp dedicated breaker to turn on after turning off the main breaker (Interlock system)
I can eithe use a 120 volt 30 amp extension and connect to one leg using the same setup or install a new box with a 120 30 amp plug connected to a 120 30 amp breaker and then jump it to another new breaker on the other leg to supply 120 to both legs
Make sense?
Are you energizing both legs of the distribution panel?
If no, my previous comment stands.
If yes, then its a moot point.

I have a 50 amp box for my generator already with a 50 amp dedicated breaker to turn on after turning off the main breaker (Interlock system)
I can eithe use a 120 volt 30 amp extension and connect to one leg using the same setup or install a new box with a 120 30 amp plug connected to a 120 30 amp breaker and then jump it to another new breaker on the other leg to supply 120 to both legs
Make sense?
The two options below are what I'm getting from your post.

Option 1 -- connect the inverter to the existing 50 amp generator input and only get one leg.

Option 2 -- install a new 30 amp generator input that goes to a new breaker, then inside the panel jump that breaker to another breaker in the panel that's on the other leg

Why not do the jump in the inverter cable itself so you can continue using your 50A gen inlet, interlock, and not have to do anything inside of the panel?

I took a 10/3 extension cable, chopped off the female end, then attached a L14-30 (four slot) female end. Since there are only three cables coming from the generator, I added a wire (jumper) between L1 and L2 in the L14-30 end. Easy peasy. When I plug this cable into my generator inlet (which looks like yours), 120V power goes out both L1 and L2 on the plug, energizing both legs of the panel.

1649855400570.png

1649817186474.png1649817235515.png

Last edited:
Can I use a generator interlock on my entrance panel.

I want to use this for the entrance.

My solar inverters will be housed in a building about 100 ft away by the solar array. I will install the solar on a 100A interlocked breaker. I will have 24kw of solar. This way I’m either on grid or off grid never the two should meet.

I was told solar has to be on the opposite end of the bus and the 120 rule applies. BUT if the 200A breaker is open and the 100A solar is closed the most I can have is 125A (125% rating). And why do I need to put solar at the other end of the bus?

Thoughts anyone???

Can I use a generator interlock on my entrance panel.
Why do you show us a meter enclosure?
A generator interlock kit typically goes into the distribution panel.
There are some that fit in the meter base
My solar inverters will be housed in a building about 100 ft away by the solar array. I will install the solar on a 100A interlocked breaker.
What is the rating on the panel.
I was told solar has to be on the opposite end of the bus and the 120 rule applies. BUT if the 200A breaker is open and the 100A solar is closed the most I can have is 125A (125% rating).
I found this link
My understanding is its talking about combining power sources.
The interlock makes your power sources mutually exclusive so I don't think it applies.
And why do I need to put solar at the other end of the bus?
Never heard of this.
Who told you this?

The meter entrance panel has eight breaker locations. (4 if all are 240). I want to interlock the top right location with the 200A main breaker. By doing this I will be completely on grid or off grid. the other 3 (240V) breakers will be my A/C compressor (feet way), my dryer (on other side of wall) and a 240 receptacle for an AV charging station. all three are right near the meter and entrance and by using this entrance with the distribution bus I will save $ on wiring. That's why I put link to meter / distribution panel.

Panel is rated at 200A.

If it is allowable to put SOLAR as an interlock I come nowhere near the 120 rule as I would only source with 100A.

I was told that NEC only allows you to put SOLAR on the opposite end of the BUS by a company that makes the interlocks., which is why I am asking the question. If I can put SOLAR on an interlock this entire discussion is mute.

BTW I will have a LP Genset that will be tied to low battery thru a 55A battery charger in the SOLAR building, so a genset interlock has no application.

Thank for the quick response. I just want confirmation that my idea is legal otherwise its a 200A manual transfer switch between on grid and off grid. What raised all this was I asked the question is if there is a standard label if you use SOLAR with an interlock.

There are plenty of electricians here.
Hopefully one will stop by.

Interlock kits are panel specific.
Doe one exist for the panel in question?

Not necessarily the best or safest way to do it. You have a possibility of having both power sources on at the same time. Or even back feeding to the grid if you left the mains on. I used manual transfer switch box. That way you can choose grid or inverter on any 110 breaker. Do this it will not effect your 220 breakers either. This is a lot safer way to go. I am using 2 of these.
I have a two point four kilo solar system wired up.
I'm not ready yet to get a new meter from the electric company and wire up. My trace s w forty twenty four

I would like to wire my inverter into one Twenty amp circuit on my main panel.

Is there an breaker that will sense that my inverter is wired in and switch to the inverter side and then switch back when the inverter stops putting out power?

I dont want to use a manual disconnect box

Back