diy solar

diy solar

Help with blocking diode

Brett smile

Hi,

I'm a novice in the solar energy and started to lean about it just few months ago.
I have a solar panel from Dongguang Sunlight Solar Energy with the following characteristics:
Mode : NO:RGN 36-100
Pmax 100W
Imp 5.555 A
Vmp 18.0 V
Isc: 5.827 A
Voc: 21.6
I'm using it to charge a LiFePo4 12V battery (an ECO-LFP 1230, a rated capacity of 30Ah, volatage range of 10-14 V.5, and a charging voltage of 14V+-0.1V ) using a 30A PMW solar charger. The battery was reaching the 14V when fully charged.

Unfortunately, the panel stopped producing energy and I found that my blocking diode was not working correctly and I had to replace it. The diode reference is: 15SQ045.
I bought what is supposed to be the same diode from Amazon but it was larger thant the original one. I soldered the diode on the panel and it is working correctly but the battery only reaches a maximum of 13.1 V after cherging completly.
Is this problem coming from the new diode?
The blocking diode with the reference mentioned (15SQ045) seems to be very difficult to find in the European market. Are there any replacement to this type of diode?
Thank you for you help.

Everything is sourced from China. You can get it from ALIexpress in 14 days. If you have a 12V panel and a 12V battery it will never go into bypass mode and you can just leave it out. If it is not producing the correct open circuit voltage, what damaged the panel also damages one or more cells.

The diode on the panel is a bypass diode and there should be 2 in the junction box ,

The diode specification for the 15SQ045 is, 45v 15A Schottky diode, this seems readily available.

Check your work and test as shown in the video. Test the complete panel for open circuit voltage.

Since your panel is a flexible type I suspect failure within the panel cell connections, your panels type have a short life and fail within a few years, sometimes within a few months. How old is the panel?

Mike

Back